Groups,Shaking Out Two New 1911s

Jim567

I just purchased two 1911’s new.
A 1911 A1 and a Commander, both in 45 caliber.
I’m always interested to see what these pistols will group at, so I always start shooting on a steady rest,large sandbag.
I was getting about 3 inch groups or larger at 15 yards.
So I got them all shaken down with all my magazines to make sure the mags were good with them.
I then went to offhand, shooting two hands.
To my amazement, the groups closed in over an inch to about one and three-quarter with both pistols.
I shoot a lot of benchrest rifle so this really threw me for a loop.
I cannot explain that!

Recycled bullet

I wonder if pressure against the dust cover affected the pistol as it is being fired. Or maybe when you have it sitting on the rest it changes your relationship of eyes, hands, grips, sights, sight picture and alignment?

Jim567

Only my hands and the butt of the pistol touched the sandbag.
I tend to shoot with one eye when I benchrest a Pistol, but both eyes when I fire free hand.
Right now that’s only thing I can think of.
Oh, my eyes are 69 years old.

44 AMP

Staff
Try shooting off the bags with no part of the gun touching anything but your hands(s) as you hold it. Use the bag to support your ARM, not your hands, or the gun, and see what kind of groups you get.

Look through the sights the same way every time. One eye, both eyes, center hold, 6 o'clock hold, whatever it is you do, do it the same way, and be consistent.

Jim567

I will give that a shot!
No pun intended lol.
Besides resting the pistol on the bag that has ears on both sides that steady my right hand - all is the same except one eye two eyes.

jetinteriorguy

I’d guess when shooting with both eyes your brain is triangulating the sight picture giving better accuracy. This is really a better way to shoot once you learn how to do it, but for some reason it seems unnatural when in fact it’s more natural, it’s just not a normally learned way to shoot. I think it stems from how we’re taught to shoot when first learning.

Jim567

Dunno!
All I know is I am very happy with the standing two handed groups!
Once I sight in my pistols, I never go back to supported position anyway.

Recycled bullet

When I shoot a handgun off of bags the pistol only touches my hands and the only thing touching the rifle bags is my right wrist. Really the only reason I do that is that the brass can get ejected into a tool bag I have leaning up on the shooting table desk. Cannot argue with your results keep up the good work man!!!

rc

Yeh, handgun shooting off a bench isn't that reliable. The guns tend to bounce and hit high on target too. It's like resting your rifle on a bag rather than placing your hand between the bag and your rest. It does make a difference.

I was once shooting a 686 from sand bags and a piece of gravel was blown up into my action from the bench. Had to take the side plate off at home and get that out before it would work again.