Grips

JustKev55

Okay, I'm going to show my "newness" to revolver ownership here but I just gotta ask.....How do Hogue grips attach to a Ruger Blackhawk? I'm in search of a nice set of grips to replace the factory "cheese graters" as I've seen the stock grips called in another thread. I want a little more to hang on to and like the look of what I've seen of the ones from Hogue but I can't figure out how they mount on the grip frame. I really don't want to modify the frame to mount grips.

BlkHawk73

Loosen the grip screw on the factory ones, remove the grips and replace with the new ones. As simple as can be. Not big on Hogue but to each thier own. Want NICE ones, look at Klamath River, CaryC or 41Magnum on RugerForum.
I gotta ask...you have read you manual right?

JustKev55

Manual

Yeah, I read the manual (I still remember the acronym from the service RTFM). I've had the grips off to look at the internal lock and I purchased overmolded Pachmyr grips from Cheaper Than Dirt and promptly sent them back. Incredibly poor fit to the frame and looked ugly as sin. In looking at the Hogue site, I can't see any screw heads visible on the grips which lead to my question on how they are mounted to the frame. I've learned my lesson with the Pachmyr (or however you spell it) grips, research first, buy second. I guess I should have also said that the instructions with the Pachmayr (There, that looks better) said I might have to remove the grip panel dowel which I do not want to do. I do not want to alter the frame, just remove and replace grips to increase the size of the grip point.

Last edited:

JustKev55

CaryC

Oh, and I've looked at clccustomgrips.com - makes me drool big time. Makes the wife say things like "budget" and "too much" and "no". Time to start squirreling away my change I guess.

drail

Most Hogue grips attach to a small stirrup that you attach to the factory grip alignment pins with a screw. This is why you don't see a screw on the sides of the grip. The Hogue Bantam grip just slips on from the bottom with no screw attachment. I tried a pair and went back to the old style because the Bantam grips would not stay in place on the gun. On drawing the gun they would start to slip off. Bad design as far as I am concerned for a carry weapon. The shape of the Bantam is very good and very comfortable and is shorter so it doesn't "print" as much as most grips but they need to come up with a more positive attachment system.

BlkHawk73

ok, You've got a "L" model. I do believe that locking mechanism protrudes ever so slightly from the grip frame webbing and that the panels would need to be slightly inletted to accomodate that.
I've had Pachamyers on a Ruger or two (I hate 'em on a single action but I was unknowing then) and didn't have any issues with fit. Just ahd to be sure it was the correct grip for the farem. Ruger has many variations and even stainless to blued can have a slight variance. No idea about the need to remove the "dowel". Are you referring to the grip locator pin?

JustKev55

Grip Panel Dowel

That's the terminology directly from the manual. Yeah, it's the locator pin. I like the look of the Hogue grip but don't really like the idea that it's not fastened to the frame better. Love the look of the CLC Custom Grips as previously mentioned but have to deal with a budget there. Klamath River has some nice looking grips and a little easier to come up with prices for those of us on a budget so there's a possibility. Still looking for 41 Magnum, joined the rugerforum.com forum so the search is on.

BlkHawk73

I've had VERY good luck with Klamath River. made me an outstanind set of Koa Bisley grips for me and he'll get a couple more orders for some special projects I have coming up. he'll fit the grips to your frame if you send it to him also.
Have some from 41 Magnum as well and am likewise pleased with his work. here's the link to his stuff. Tell him I sent ya!
proberly a good idea to mention yours has the lock just in case.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=24014

CraigC

They are called Stocks, not "grips" when referring to a Revolver.

Guess that depends on who you're talking to. Because most folks, gripmakers included, refer to them as "grips". Only Herrett's and a couple gunwriters use "stocks", even then they usually use "grips" interchangeably. Had this same discussion with Lee Jurras about ten years ago. It was just as unproductive then.

JustKev55

Stocks/Grips

Haven't seen them called stocks anywhere until your post. Even Ruger calls them grips or grip panels. Is that maybe a regional thing?

BlkHawk73

They are called Stocks, not "grips" when referring to a Revolver.

Biker

I've seen it both ways but with "grips" being the most common by a landslide.
Kinda the same as everyone and thier brother using "caliber" when they should use "cartridge". Used interchangeably but definaetly NOT the same.

WVfishguy

Gun 4 Fun wrote;
S&W calls them stocks, most everyone else calls them grips

S&W calls them grips. I order my "grips" from S&W's website, and that's what they call them. :rolleyes:

I remember when they were called "stocks," whether it was a long gun or a hand gun. I think they became "grips" when Hogue and Pachmahyr came along. Steve Herrett called them stocks.

FlyFish

S&W calls them stocks, most everyone else calls them grips.
S&W calls them grips.

Well, you're sorta both right. S&W called them "stocks" for most of their history, but apparently does call them "grips" now. In the SCSW, Supica has continued the use of the term "stocks."

WVfishguy

Speaking of grips, stocks, whatever - today, I received Presentation Grips from Smith & Wesson for my N frame Model 28.

They are terrible :eek: I'm going to write a post about this.