Grips

dabigguns357

I want to know what ya'll like best, wood grips or hogue rubber grips.I already have rubber grips but I'm thinkin of makin a change in my 686 to something like rosewood.Feel free to post pics so i can get an idea of what they look like.:D

stevieboy

No pics but I've used both Hogue rubbers and Hogue woods on my 686 6". The wooden grips look great and are ok to shoot with. But, for true comfort and (for me) maximum accuracy, I prefer to shoot with the rubber grips. My other 686 is the 686SSR. I'll be honest, one of the reasons I bought the gun was because I thought it looked great, especially with the Smith "ergonomic" wooden grips. But, shooting it has been a bit of a disappointment because, even with relatively low power .38 special ammo, the wooden grips tend to make my hand sore after 25 rounds or so. I'm seriously thinking of buying a pair of Hogue rubbers for that gun and not worrying about how less cool it would look.

sandbag

Whatever works best for you.I have Herrett wood grips on my S&W Model 28 and Pachmayrs on my S&W 22-4-both are right for the respective revolvers and my hand in combination-might not be right for someone else.

44 Deerslayer

Wood usually looks better and doesn't stick to your clothes if you are carrying concealed. Downside, they are slippery unless checkered or have finger grooves and in heavier recoiling guns, usually don't feel as comfortable shooting.

Rubber is cheap, more comfortable to shoot but usually doesn't look as nice. Rubber is also tough and doesn't ding or scratch like fine wood. Good for hunting weapons.

Choose depending on what the primary use of the gun is.

Keltyke

I've shot a 686 with the stock rubber grips and it was ok. didn't like the gun AT ALL, but the grips worked well for it. I have S&W checkered combat wood grips on my S&W 19 and I absolutely LOVE them. I wouldn't want rubber grips on it.

No matter if they're rubber or wood, they HAVE to FIT your hand or you'll never like them. You might have to buy several sets before you find one you really like.

dabigguns357

great point indeed,Mainly in the summer it stays in my top drawer but when fall and winter comes it sees the outdoors alot.I hunt with it and when i'm done for the day i ccw,hummm :confused:

kamerer

I prefer wood. This is a 686 I do not use for concealed carry. I like the broad surface area and contact a smooth wood grip gives for recoil dissipation. The factory smooth targets are my favorite for square butt magnums in open carry. These are some grips off a 19-3 "Texas Ranger" commemorative I grafted on to a 686. This is one smooth shootin' magnum. (sorry for the poor photo - kinda overexposed). For non-magnums, or for concealed carry guns, I use a Magna style grip with a grip adapter; either a Pachmayr style or Tyler.

I find rubber just squirms around too much in mind during recoil, making me have to reposition too much that it slows down follow-on shots. Hogue's are the worst at this. Pachmayr's are better, and the Pachmayr "gripper" model is I think the hardest rubber ones you can get to minimize this. But now that I have experimented and had some good tutoring by more experienced shooters, smooth, hand-filling wood works best I think.

Below is also a picture of a 27 with factory magnas and a an old Pachmayr adapter. It now has a Tyler adapter on it and I prefer that.

Fig. 1) 686 with smooth presentation targets.
IMGP2818-1.jpg

Fig. 2) Magnas and grip adapter.
IMGP2964.jpg

44 AMP

Staff
Wood makes for pretty pictures

Rubber makes for better grip. Not that important with light recoiling rounds, but for me, very important for the bigger ones, including SA revolvers. I have used the Hogue hard plastic grips, don't like them. I have not used the soft rubber Hogue grips, but I have several guns with the Pachmayr grips, and find them excellent.

Everyone is different, but for me, Pachmayr grips do very well on my S&W and Ruger revolvers. I have never found them to be sitcky or slippery in my hands, and make shooting heavy loads a lot less punishing than the stock wood grips on Ruger SAs or S&Ws.

They just don't make the guns look as pretty or as traditional in the pictures.
Picture188.jpg

Picture185.jpg

Picture186.jpg

Picture187.jpg

Some of my guns carry wood, but the ones I shoot the most wear rubber.

pogo2

Ahrends cocobolo

I tend to like the shape of the wood grips made by the Ahrends Company, and they use a variety of woods including some very attractive cocobolo. The pictures below are an N frame S&W and a K frame S&W with Ahrends cocobolo grips.

SW62924.jpg

SW66-323.jpg

Kreyzhorse

Wood. I find Hogue's uncomfortable to hold and above all else, they look cheap and terrible. I've got black and gold laminate on my 686 but rosewood is a great option.

GUNKWAZY

I hate rubber. Love wood.
Actually, they make rubber to protect your wood, if ya know what I mean.
S&W 686 with Hogue's Rosewood grip.
Lemme check. I thinks I may have one of those.
Yep, there's one on the bottom of this picture....
3shortsmiths.jpg

How's about a set on a 66 ?
short66.jpg

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

ad5zt

S&w 686

I have had my 686 since the 80's and I love it. The grips are just a bit narrow.

Attachments

• CenterPoint Small.jpg
    CenterPoint Small.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 49

stevieboy

Here's an update on shooting my SSR. I'd been having a little problem with the "ergonomic" wood grips. They're great looking, but after shooting about 25 rounds of 158 gr. .38 semi-wadcutters in the gun (haven't even tried .357 with them), I'd get definitely sore in the web between my thumb and trigger finger on my shooting hand. Saturday I switched the grips out for the second pair that comes with the gun, a set of Uncle Mike's rubber combats. What a difference! No pain, no discomfort, and my accuracy, particularly in da went up enormously. Suddenly, I was effortly shooting 1 1/2" groups at 10yards.

I still think that the wooden grips look way cool, but the Uncle Mikes are simply more practical. I definitely prefer wood for appearance but I just shoot better with rubber grips, at least on anything bigger than a .22.

AlaskaMike

I have a slight preference for wood, but I like Pachmeyer presentation grips as well. I don't really care for anything with finger grooves. Above all, I can't stand Hogues on a hard-kicking gun. Their design doesn't cover the backstrap of the grip which digs into my hand on recoil.

Mike

dabigguns357

I can only say wow,the wood handle grips look awsome.I think what i'll do is buy the wood grips and if i don't like i'll keep for a spare.

Hammer It

.I already have rubber grips but I'm thinkin of makin a change in my 686 to something like rosewood.

Hello Dabigguns357
Rosewood in a Factory S&W Grip will be a very hard one to find. Mosty I see offered in a large Target style grip are either Walnut or Ganacalo-Alves which some People mistake often for Rosewood. I have a few pairs of Factory Rosewood grips and the ones I do have are all currently on the revolvers shown. Rosewood is the Hardest wood to find in original Factory S&W Grips and when you do see it, they often appear Purple or black in color. I have never found a pair in the Large-N- frame size but have a few of them in the K-Sq. configuration as shown. You can see by the examples shown they often differ in Color or density as well. Regards, Hammer It

K-38 Combat Masterpiece

15-4_Combat_Magnum_Right_side.jpg

15-4_Combat_Magnum.jpg

K-22 Model 17-2

K-22_1.jpg

K-22_3.jpg

Model 16-4 .32 H&R Magnum Caliber

15004DSCF5795.JPG

K-22 Masterpiece Model 17-2

15004S_W_K-22_Nickel_revolver_007.jpg

Evyl Robot

I love wood grips. I won't stand for rubber on any of MY guns. I think it's really interesting that others feel the polar opposite. I know plenty of people that would not have wood grips on their gun and only use rubber. To me, open-backstrap hardwood is the only way to go. I would still like to get some G10 grips for my 586, but that's a different story altogether. I suppose it comes down to "to each his own". For some wood is better, for others rubber.

--Michael

wnycollector

I have both wood and rubber grips on my revolvers. I prefer the look of wood grips on blue gun but rubber on my stainless guns. The only exception to this is that I have a rubber hogue grip on my 1964 S&W M36 since my wife shoots and carries it!

jmorrell

My favorite grips are the Hogue Pau Ferro grips. I've got them on my 629 Classic DX and on my 686+. I find the wood grips are more comfortable with magnum loads than the Hogue monogrips that came on the guns. My 686+ is pictured below.

686P.jpg