Grips for the Smith and Wesson 29 Square Butt

rc

So I am looking for a comfortable grip to replace some loose fitting wood finger groove grips that came with my square butt gun. I am considering my options. Does anyone have VZ grips on their gun? I am also considering the Pachmayr Gripper.

44 AMP

Staff
I use Pachmayr grips on my 29-2. The "square butt" ones. I think they are the Presentation series not the Gripper, but I'm not sure about the name, sorry.

I use the rounded butt finger groove ones on my model 28. On the 28 I find them a huge help. On the 29, I consider them a virtual necessity.

Full house .44 Mags and stock grips hurt me shooting the 29. Pachmayrs help a lot, turn hurt into discomfort, and because of that I limit my model 29 loads to 240s between 11 and 1200fps. The gun isn't unpleasant to shoot then. Still plenty stout.

I have other guns for heavier .44 mag loads.

Fla_dogman

I'm a huge fan of hogue grips on revolvers. I definitely suggest you take a look at them

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

rc

I had a factory Hogue grip on my 686 but then put a Pachmayer on it without the extreme finger grooves. I like Pachmayer a little better than Hogue but Hogue would be better than the wood grips that came with my used 629-1. The smooth wood doesn't grip the hand at all so I don't have the control I want when I shoot it. Anybody have a picture of factory grips on a 629-1 square butt half lug with 6.5 inch barrel?

44 AMP

Staff
when the level of recoil gets to full house .44 Mag, I much prefer a smooth grip, even if a bit slippery over a sharply checkered one that acts as a cheese grater, with my hand being the cheese! :eek:

CajunBass

Add me to the list who said "Hogue." Pretty hard to beat. I've got a set on my 29-10

I've got a Pachmayr Gripper for it too, but that one didn't fit as well as I liked, so it's in mothballs and the Hogue got the call up.

44caliberkid

Pachmayr Presentation grips on a Model 29 are great for shooting them. I keep the wood target stocks on them for looking at.

Last edited:
The Old Days

Essentially the same problem, but twenty to thirty years ago.

Herrett grips seem to still be around, but they are fairly expensive and the revolver types are less frequent. The website is still functional.

Mustang grips do not seem to be in business anymore. They are available from various re-sellers.

This likely isn't much help, but I do miss Mustang and several other companies who made revolver grips that both worked well and looked good. Obviously I'm getting old.

Webleymkv

In my experience, the most important factor in comfortable grips on a heavy recoiling revolver is having a decent palmswell that distributes the recoil across the palm of the hand rather than focusing it into the web between the thumb and index finger. My own 4" 629-6 currently wears a set of S&W X-Frame grips which not only have the aforementioned palmswell, but also a gel insert over the backstrap to further cushion recoil. Unfortunately, the X-Frame grips are only available for round-butt revolvers and thus wouldn't work on you M29. My Father's 4" 29-2 has a square butt and he's found a set of Hogue hardwood grips with finger grooves and no checkering to work well for him. Another option, if you want a more classic look and don't mind dropping a bit of coin on your grips, is the target stocks made by Culina Grips have the more pronounced palmswell of the classic "Coke Bottle" Target Stocks which S&W used to make in the 1950's. I have two sets of Culina grips and they are the highest quality and best fitting handgun grips I've ever owned (and are also available in a variety of exotic woods if that suits you).

While not a .44 Magnum, I replaced the factory target stocks on a 8 3/8" M57 no-dash I used to own with a set of Culina's "magnum profile" Coke Profile Targets. This made the gun much more pleasant to shoot and retained the classic look I wanted to keep. I also have a 5" M27-2 which wears a set of their standard Coke Profile Targets which is quite nice to shoot. While both profiles have the "football cut" I've found that the standard Cokes on my M27 still have enough clearance to allow the use of HKS speed loaders while the "magnum profile" ones do not as they are noticeably thicker.

Culina also makes the finger-groove "combat" style of grip for square-butt S&W's, but I cannot comment on their feel or recoil management as I've not personally owned or handled a gun equipped with them.

https://www.culinagrips.com/

Edited to add: I no longer see an option for the "magnum profile" Targets on Culina's website, but as these grips are custom made to order it's highly likely that a set could be made if that's what you wanted.