Grips for S&W 686

MR.G

I want to replace my factory grips on my S&W 4" 686 RB and need some suggestions. Want something with a good feel, and looks good too. any recommendations?

hAkron

What don't you like about the grip you have?

Target grips are great on L-Frames if you have med-large hands.

Service/magna grips are nice too and can be further enhanced with a grip adapter (like a Tyler T-grip).

Uncle Mike's rubber boot grips are nice on snubies, but rubber grips are troublesome if you want to conceal the gun. Some people find they will stick to cover garments.

Fake pearl or fake ivory grips can be nice if you are looking for a little bit of eye candy.

Stag/bone grips provide both function & eye candy but do shop around for a decent price as they can go from very expensive to seriously over priced.

I recommend browsing eBay to get an idea what's out there.

L frames (like your 686) and k frames take the same sized grips. As long as you make sure they are for a round butt, you should be good to go.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=S&W+grips&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Genepix

686 grips

I have two 686 4" revolvers. One wears Hogue monogrips- very comfortable, nothing to look at. And the other wears these checkered rosewoods- feels good and looks fantastic. I know there are hundreds of dealers out there, but I think I saw these on gungripssupply.com for $70.....

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-06-16 at 8.01.59 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-06-16 at 8.01.59 AM.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 61
  • Screen shot 2013-06-16 at 8.02.27 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-06-16 at 8.02.27 AM.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 60

James K

Member In Memoriam
FWIW, the L frame differs from the K frame in the upper part of the frame; the grips are the same as the K frame and any K frame grips should fit.

Jim

Salmoneye

I hated the finger groove set that came on my 686:

fddnib.jpg

So I tried the Magnas that came off my father's old K22 when he 'upgraded' to some custom Herrett's...

I liked the shape, but not the thickness, so I cut my own from some White Ash that I had in my wood pile...

I am very happy, and it is not that hard to do...I recommend anyone that is even remotely handy to make their own grips to suit themselves...

1dy5mv.jpg

Sparrowbird

I've had good luck shaping grips to fit me by using my drimmel tool. Wood or rubber have fallen victim and became much more user friendly for me.