Grips for Highway Patrolman

briang2ad

I have a 4" Highway Parolman which I've owned since '82, and want something better than the small stock grips. I have contemplated the Tyler T-grip, but they are now as expensive as a decent set of Hogues which may be much more valuable in handling the weapon. I also do NOT want to cover the backstrap - anything that makes trigger reach harder is not good in my book. Are Hogues the thing??? Thanks.

Hammer It

Hello:
It is hard to fit the recipe you have called for. I have a model 28 with a 6" barrel and have a set of factory combats on it. I like these best for control and I am also blessed with short fat fingers so it took a week while watching the tube at night to sand them down to fit me.I also have a set of Presentation grip for the same revolver that are a tad smaller than the factory checkered ones in profile. I would sell these if you need them let me know.I also am not a fan of the tyler grip extensions as they tend to scratch the revolver and when they are taken off you are left with the mess.I dont care for the Hogues as they tend to be for guys with big mitts. Regards, Hammer It.
DSCF3661.jpg

Dfariswheel

It's hard to beat the Hogue Mono-grip for size.

Most people who buy after-market grips for the Python, buy Hogue specifically because they ARE the smallest "combat" grips readily available, and keep the trigger reach down.

Most other after-market grips like the Pachmayr open-backed Professional's still add too much back-to-front width to the grips.

The Hogue is the most compact grip I can find, and the S&W models seem to be even slightly smaller than the Colt versions.

Plus, for sheer appearance, the Hogue's are hard to beat, especially for the price.

Take a look at their web site, and you'll see that they offer a number of options, from finger grooves, no grooves, checkering, and fancy grip caps.

http://www.getgrip.com/

AUG

I just bought a set of S&W factory service stocks for my 4" Model 28 and could not be happier. I am one of those traditional types that shuns rubber grips on revolvers.

Maybe it is just me but putting french tickler rubber grips on such a nice looking gun is just plain wrong.

I personally can't stand the spongy and tacky feel of Hogue grips and I can't stand finger grooves. The only rubber grips I can stand are the Pachmayr Presentation grips and I only use those untill I can find wood stocks.

In my eyes Hogue and Pachmayr grips are the "uncle mikes holsters" of the grip world.

briang2ad

Bought the Hogues

Thanks folks:

I bought the Hogues today. I like the look of the Pacs, but do NOT want a longer reach for the trigger - defeats the purpose of the grip. The Hogues feel absolutely perfect ergonomically - for single or double action and for one or two handed shooting. In fact, the service grips made the pistol feel unshootable - now it is begging to be shot. Of course I will keep the original grips. I have all the docs and a signed letter from Roy Jinks for this pistol.

Thanks again for the feedback.

JAREDSHS

Grips

Check out the S&W web site. There are some new listings for square butt N frames complete with medalions---fake stag, black pearlite, as well as white.

Dave Ginn

briang2ad

Appearance vs. Function

I will admit that the Hogue's are not as pretty as the Pachmayr's, but I do believe that they offer the thinnest grip and the finger grooves are positioned right for me. But, there is no way for me to know except to buy the Pach's also - no one has a good inventory of grips to try them all out - not right now. And, the Hogue's do feel good. Another issue is speed loading - IF the PAch's add any thickness, it might hinder the speed loader from accessing the cylinder.

Sir William

THAT is dealt with. Pachmayr grips are "cut" for speedloaders as part of their overall design. My experience has been that Pachmayrs have a better shape, palmswell for my big hands, absorb recoil better and they are metal reinforced. I have learned from use that the two best rubberized grips are Volquartsen and Pachmayr. I do use the Hogue Hand-Alls though on small 25s and on my Ruger P-95 and P-97 I had.

briang2ad

Hogue beats Pahmayr

Gents:

Today I went to the dealer and switched out the Hogues for the Pachs and tried it out - failure. The Pachs LOOK GREAT - nice rubber, medallions, sculpturing, etc. BUT - the fit to frame is poor, and it makes the grip feel ToTALLY BLOCKY. The ergonomics stink. I would think that even if you have BIG hands, it would feel blocky/square - which is not the way your hands are fashioned. These were the gripper pro grips with the open backstrap, etc. I am BACK to Hogue. The frame fit is MUCH better on the Hogue, and the mold seam lines are also much better. The shop owner is selling off all his Pachmayrs and going straight Hogue. My favorite shop back home is also that way. I recommend Hogues over Pachs easily.

AUG

The dealers are switching to Hogue because they are cheaper and easier to get through the distributers. Regardless of the stated reason this is the reason why dealers all over the country are doing the same.

In my experience I have never seen a set of Hogue monogrips fit any S&W revolver properly in the backstrap area. I have seen the "fit" of Hogue's bragged about on this thread and I just have to say that is exactly opposite of what I have seen with them.

Sir William

Same here AUG. I just picked up a set of Pachmayr Compac open backstrap grips for my S&W round butt M10 snub. The S&W Uncle Mikes were uncomfortable to shoot for my hands. Hogues are less expensive, higher profit and ready to ship to jobbers. Pachmayrs are traditional, less profit as they are better material/construction/reinforced so, most shops are buying Hogues. I don't see it as a Ford v. Chevrolet issue. DODGE is better! LOL

briang2ad

Thanks

Folks:

I appreciate all the comments. I would have thought that the pachs would be better, but it just didn't wash out. They are harder to install, and the fit around the backstrap was atrocious - honestly I was surprised - just my experience with ONE GRIP I got at a local shop. But, this gripper pro without the backstrap had a bad design (too thick around the backstrap) and was poorly executed. The Hogue looks like it was MADE for the pistol (which was manufactured in 79) on the backstrap - it does have a little gap at the top - but the pach also seemed worse here. Maybe the Pach was a mis-packaged round butt or something - but it was clearly marked for a square butt. I do like the Pach's checkering and overall look...