Grip safety all that safe?

whitenack

In comparing the XD to the Glock, one of the comments made is that the XD has a grip safety, which makes it a little more safer than the Glock.

Everyone talks about the drawback to a Glock is that, because of a lack of external safety, something could accidently depress the trigger and cause a ND. I'm not talking about someone accidently putting their finger on the trigger before they're ready to shoot, I am talking about a foreign object getting lodged in the trigger guard.

One advantage to the XD is that it has a grip safety, which allows one more level of safety over the Glock.

My question is this...
During these "foreign object Glock ND's", are they occuring during the holstering of the weapon (ie, you push the pistol into the holster, your pocket, the back of your pants, etc.) and something hits the trigger, or during the course of moving around after the gun has been holstered does something work its way to the trigger?

If it is the former, would a grip safety offer much more protection? I mean, if you are shoving your pistol into a holster, pocket, or the back of your pants, you'd have a pretty good grip on it, right? Or, at least enough pressure on the back of the grip (because you are pushing the gun) to depress the grip safety, right?

I am not trying to slam the XD, just trying to sort out all this stuff and I am wondering if the grip safety is that big of an advantage.

Thanks,

Rivers

Whitenack: XD's aren't safer than Glocks. They offer a grip safety because they're fully cocked when ready to fire, a la "single action". Glocks, like some folks posting about the "advantages" of grip safeties, are half-cocked, when ready to fire. :D

yomama

Springfield XD and Glock pistols are both hammerless. That is why they designed a safe trigger. While the grip safety in the 1911 worked with the thumb safety, the glock and XDs don't have a thumb safety. With this in mind, the safety level is no higher with a grip safety without a thumb safety to back it up. The glocks are just fine without one, and are a very safe pistol. Don't get me wrong, i like both, but the grip safety belongs on the 1911.

In response to putting the gun in your waistband, it's never a good idea. It would be much better to get a holster designed for the gun, and where you want to put it. There should not be any objects in the holser that would go near the actual trigger, only the trigger guard.

It's not vengence, it's punishment - The Punisher

Handy

I posted a similar thread not too long ago. Some agreed that it doesn't really do anything, because you have it depressed whenever you handle it.

Some XD posters felt that the safety was small enough to keep your hand clear of it when holstering. If this is possible, it certainly seems like the preferred way to handle the gun.

I would never carry a gun with a light trigger like the Glock or XD in a waistband. While you can be careful inserting it, your draw is going to have to be solid, disabling the safety. I would carry a DA/SA pistol that way, if needed.

auto45

What does the grip safety in the XD functionally block, so to speak?

Meaning, on a 1911 it blocks the trigger bow if not depressed...XD?

Archie

Of all the ND's ...

I've known of, been around, debriefed and read about, all of them - ALL OF THEM - have occurred with a finger on the trigger.

The old style holster with exposed trigger guard was prone to ND on the draw stroke. The new, improved holster with covered trigger guard is equally prone to ND on the return to holster stroke.

With the very minor exception of mechanical failures, all ND's are caused by a trigger finger being on the trigger at the wrong time. I've never run down a ND caused by a foreign object. They could happen, but I've never verified one.

By the way, the grip safety was not on the design when first made. It was an additional requirement from the Army committee. After, this was one of them newfangled semi-automatics and you could never be sure. Since about 1912, many of us deactivated the grip safety in one manner or another (from welding up parts to rubber bands) without much change in safety.

Not to mention I've carried a gun in my waistband for about 40 years now. I've carried various autoloaders and revolvers - but not Glocks - in my pants for many, many miles. I don't have any particular reluctance. I'm leary of the Glock trigger, however. I have a bad feeling about it catching on something.

ClarkEMyers

Plenty of ND with no finger on the trigger if folks look.

Plenty of ND with no finger on the trigger if folks look.

I remember a cocked and locked 1911 in the holster where the hammer caught on the edge of a desk and apparently lifted off the sear without being caught by the half-cock from the early 80's. There was the famous Ruger new model Blackhawk in an open holster carried through brush where a twig pushed the hammer back and then functioned as a transfer bar - this is one of the reasons Ruger sold the Bianchi made practical holster with a flap - still there after the shot. There have been equally well documented cases of a Colt Goldcup with its wide trigger going off on being forced into a holster boned for the original narrow trigger - one of those is really famous and very well documented. Finally there have been several cases of cool weather clothing with drawstrings where the drawstring ended up inside the trigger guard. In none of these cases was there a finger on the trigger.

rapier144

A couple of years ago here in east tn a local sheriff had his Glock compact in his pocket when he went to take his keys out of the same pocket one of the keys got hung in the trigger guard and when he pulled on the keys bang he shot himself in either the leg or the foot.

Handy

I think the Glock, in particular, had a few thumbbreak firings while holstering.

Plus, you have all those older Glock boxes that were recalled.

slystad810

A couple of years ago here in east tn a local sheriff had his Glock compact in his pocket when he went to take his keys out of the same pocket one of the keys got hung in the trigger guard and when he pulled on the keys bang he shot himself in either the leg or the foot.

I'm not a Glock lover or hater, but I don't think you can count that against the Glock :rolleyes: He should have known his weapon well enough to realize that Glock + Keychain = Hazard.

slystad810

Handy, I wasn't referring to your post. I was just making a statement that he should have known better (Hence the quote) :).

Handy

I know. I'm just pointing out that what you quoted was yet another example of a non-trigger finger ND, which Archie had never heard of. It quite definitely was stupid, but that wasn't the point.

cuate

Grip Safeties ?

There exists in the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco, TX. one or more Colt .45 automatics with the grip safeties taped down. One in particular with the disabled grip safety also had the trigger guard completly sawed off. As I remember the Former Ranger had a close call once getting the thumb safety off and firing and carried the above mentioned .45 eared back in his belt. I can't agree with this "readiness" but I was never a Ranger and certainly not in the good old bad days.