Grip recommendation for S&W 642 and duck-like hands? :)

Sriracha

Hi everyone,

I bought a new 642 last year, and it came with the Uncle Mike's round rubber boot grips. I know that a lot of folks like this grip (Stephen Camp's reviews, for example), but I find it uncomfortable to use. I feel recoil mainly as a sharp pinch in the web of my hand. After shooting my first 50 rounds, it gave me a huge blister there. ..and I've only shot about 50 more rounds since then due to the pain!

Following Jerry Miculek's video tutorial, I started holding the revolver with my left (non-dominant) thumb pressing down hard on the web of my right hand. This helps, but the gun still has too much 'play' and rotates backward and pinches, if that makes sense.

To give you an idea, I've shot a 15 oz Kahr 9mm and 9 oz Kel-tec .380 with no problem. However, my 26 oz Makarov also pinches the web painfully. So the problem seems to be one of ergonomics rather than raw recoil energy.

May I ask you all for recommendations for a comfortable grip that covers the back of the frame? I've considered the Hogue monogrip, but the web of my hand naturally tends to go even higher -- it slips over the corner of the backstrap.

Thanks,
-Sriracha

B.N.Real

Don't feel alone with the wide hands.

I've got the same kind.

Makes it kind of imperitive that the grip have no burrs or rough areas on it.

The P-11 I once owned taught me an unforgettable lesson about my wide hands I was using in a odd grip.

That little gun bite the heck out of me twice!LOL.

My fault totally.

Eagle0711

There are a lot of grip choices, and you should find one to your liking. Herret's in Twin Falls Idaho will custom make a pair to fit your hand.

I love my 642. It's handy to carry and accurate. I got some Buffole Bore 158gr. LSWC/GS that will travel 1,000 FPS from a 2" barrel. Good Luck, Lyle

dyl

I was too cheap for Crimson Trace

Crimson trace was one of the only 2 choices of grip design I found that were synthetic (to absorb recoil) that covered the backstrap (to lengthen the distance to the trigger and disperse recoil) and also didn't add the grip length for concealability. I took the cheap-o route :D

I found an old thread on here that suggested going to the Taurus website and looking under "accessories" and ordering the small revolver grip. I did it for around $15 dollars and it worked out great. I made 2 modifications to it.

1) The 642/442 has a pin at the bottom of the frame where apparently the Taurus 85c doesn't so I drilled a hole on each side of the grip. That was easy. The grips fit fine and reduce felt recoil. They also solve the problem of feeling like I didn't have enough material to really crunch down on for a secure grip. And with the slim boot grips I felt like I had too much "trigger finger" left over if pulling with the joint of my index finger which caused the sights to jump after each shot when dry firing.

2) optional but a good idea: on the left side of the grip I cut some material out to allow for a speed-loader to work.

Taurus also sells a full 3 finger grip which I suspect would also work, which covers the backstrap. But if I was going to go that route I would have gotten a Pachmayr. I have heard of people cutting down a pachmayr grip to attain a 2 finger grip that covers the backstrap but then you'd have to deal with cutting metal.

When I do shoot with the slim boot grips it hurts less if I do not choke up on the grip and let the muzzle rise with recoil. The grip feels less satisfying this way but the "hump" of the Centennial design is farther away from ramming in to the web of my hand.

Good look!

bossman

Pacmayr makes some nice grips , also try wearing a glove when shooting at the range. Fingerless gloves with padded palm like weight lifters work great.

Sriracha

Thank you all for the good suggestions.

dyl and MLeake, I'd actually handled the Crimson Trace grips and liked them very much for the same reasons. But yes, they are rather pricey! I will definitely look into the Taurus grips, though. Hadn't thought to consider those.

Also, I actually own some fingerless weightlifting gloves and will try those too. Although I do want to practice bare-handed at least some of the time to simulate actual use, the gloves would be helpful for extended practice sessions.

Thanks again!
-Sr.