Grind to fit recoil pad for Ruger .44 carbine?

Vt.birdhunter

Looking for a recoil pad for a ruger .44 carbine, older model.
Looked through Brownells and Midway; I see a couple of pads Im thinking of messing with, was hoping someone has a suggestion.

Will a heat gun let me put a curve into the stiff plastic under the rubber of a grind to fit pad?
Anyone know of a one piece rubber deal that I could mold?

Saw this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=425407

But reviews indicate its hard plastic, looking to soften recoil.

TYVM for any info.

Scorch

Will a heat gun let me put a curve into the stiff plastic under the rubber of a grind to fit pad?
Yes, but you have to be careful about bending it too fast, it will crack. Also, the top corner of the pad will stick way out and snag on your clothing when you raise the rifle to shoot. I recommend just squaring up the butt and mounting a Decelerator or KickEze pad.

Doyle

There is a good Larry Potterfield video on Youtube on how to square up a butt and shape a pad. He uses a fancy jig to shape the pad, but I've done just fine with a belt sander with 80 grip paper clamped to the workbench. I just mark the pad and freehand shape it to work down to the marks. I switch to a 100 grit pad for the final touchup.

Vt.birdhunter

I recommend just squaring up the butt and mounting a Decelerator or KickEze pad.

I agree, definitely a good way to get it done but I like the aesthetics of the current stock. Was hoping to use the stock as is and work around it. For $20 I may try working a kick-eez with some heat, then sand until its snag free.

bamaranger

professional

We have a stockfitting outfit locally that I can put you in touch with the does pads regularly if you want to hire the job out. You could ship the stock. PM if interested.

Vt.birdhunter

Why do need a recoil pad? Mine doesn't have a lot of recoil....

Ill be honest, for a light weight little carbine, I find it snappy.
Trying to get my old man to use it this whitetail season and hes a bigger cream puff than I am;)

jmr40

Go to Walmart and buy a $5 pair of black flip flops. Remove the straps and trace around the pad with a sharpie and cut on the outside of the line with sharp scissors. Sand down until you get the fit you want. Glue it on with epoxy.

Flip flop pads work great, are about 3-4oz lighter than standard pads are cheap and fit curved buttstocks.

Vt.birdhunter

jmr40,

Good idea, ive used gel mouse pads in a similar application. I might give that a go.

DnPRK,

The pad I listed and the one you show are the same, and they are made out of a hard plastic- no softer on the shoulder than the factory butt-plate. It also lengthen the LOP by an inch.

Flip flops and glue are looking pretty good, lol