Greetings from a South African

Odd Job

Hello all, I just registered today and hope to make some new connections here, particularly anybody involved in the medical and forensic side of things.

I am a radiographer who has a lot of experience from a Johannesburg trauma unit and gunshot wounds are my specialty. We were getting about 150 gunshot victims a month at the hospital where I did permanent night duty for almost 4 years.
I have some experience in the handling and use of firearms and in South Africa I carry a 9mm pistol. At the moment I am in London, so no opportunity to keep my eye in with pistols unfortunately.

Anyway, if there are questions about X-rays, imaging and forensic radiology or gunshot wounds feel free to ask. I will be asking some questions to do with ammunition so that I can finish the book on gunshot wounds that I am writing.

:)

Dre_sa

im also south african!

im sure youll find this forum site to be very informative. there are a good bunch of people here.
Enjoy your time here.

Harry Callahan

Welcome aboard. Nice handle too. I'm a newbie also. One question, though. Doesn't South Africa have some of the most oppressive gun laws on the planet? How are you able to possess these instruments of death?

Odd Job

@ All: thanks for the warm welcome

@ Harry

Yes it is difficult to get a firearm licence in South Africa and it is going to get even more difficult. In the days before the regime change I got the .25 pistol because I was going everywhere on a bicycle and it was convenient to carry. The only problem I had encountered at that stage was a pack of dogs that tried to get me off my bicycle and the .25 was 'noise value.' And of course the crime rate hadn't shot up by that stage.
Then post regime change I was working a lot of night shifts and I got a car. The crime rate was rocketing up and hijackings were commonplace. And a .25 just isn't going to be of any use when firing in and around a car. So I applied for the 9mm and boy did I have problems. They didn't like the fact that I wanted two pistols, especially since the .25 was already listed as a defensive firearm. They wanted me to give that up and then reapply for the 9mm as a defense weapon. I didn't want to give up the .25 at all. They then refused the licence application for the 9mm. The way I got around this problem was I joined a pistol club and signed up for competition shooting. I then reapplied for the 9mm on the basis that the .25 Baby Browning was not a target shooting weapon and I needed a larger calibre, longer-barelled weapon for this. Now you know and I know that a Vektor CP1 isn't an ideal target shooting weapon (in fact all round it is a difficult weapon to get used to) but in the grand scheme of things it is far better than a .25 for my purposes and they couldn't refuse me the 9mm.
But it took more than 6 months for me to get that CP1 and there is zero chance of me getting another pistol without giving up one (or probably both) of my pistols. The new laws to do with firearm licensing in SA are published on the South African Police Service website http://www.saps.gov.za/crime_prevention/firearms.htm

Of course none of this applies to the criminals: I doubt any of them would have waited 6 months for a license when they could just get an illegal pistol for R200 from Mozambique.

Blue Heeler

Hello Odd Job, and welcome.
I am in Australia and have some friends and relatives who used to live in South Africa.
My advice is to leave that place as soon as possible. If you are already out of there then that's a start. It is a sinking ship. It will only get worse, much worse - look at Rhodesia.
You should have easy entry to many countries where your skills can be used,even if you have to do some sort of qualification update.

Odd Job

@ Jehzsa

Hi

I only have experience carrying and target shooting the NGA rounds. They were marketed as 'Eliminator' when they first came out in South Africa but became 'Sentry' after being introduced in the US. The only Sentry wound I have ever seen was a gunshot knee and the main characteristic of that injury was that the orthopaedic surgeons could not extract the bullet despite being able to access the bearing surface with metallic forceps. The expanded rim of the bullet was firmly lodged in the tibia and that is where it stayed. Fortunately for the patient there is no lead in the bullet so he is not at risk from lead poisoning. I don't know the circumstances of the shooting.

I did an unscientific comparison of a few rounds in 9x19, firing into a stack of 150 cellulose sheets (blank X-ray films). I fired Cor-Bon, Silvertip, Black Talon, HydraShok, PMP FMJ and both versions of the Sentry (there is a 60gr and an 80gr version, the 60gr cartridge being loaded +P).
For sheer penetration of these tough X-ray sheets, the 60gr Sentry was the best. The next best rounds were the 80gr Sentry and the Silvertip. If I remember correctly the Silvertip was slightly better but I could be wrong. Overall the Sentry didn't penetrate these sheets by an amazingly greater amount than the other rounds, but it was certainly the best by a noticeable amount, say 20 or 25 sheets better. Note that what gets sent to the US may well not be the same as what I used for these tests in SA. I emailed NGA about the specs of the Eliminator/Sentry and this is what they told me:

We have done away with the term Eliminator as it was not "user friendly" especially for the American market. We refer to it now worldwide as the Sentry projectile. Technically we call it a FWCE (full wad cutter expanding) a term which is patented to our company. I think we are unique in the world to have this design.

The colour of the cap is immaterial. In we have an 80 grain for 9mm and a 60 grain used for 9mm and 9mm short. Due to availability we have used red and blue on different lots. Blue is the preferred colour for some of our oversees clients.

The metal composition has never changed, it is pure soft (annealed copper)with a flash of nickel over it for lubricating purpose (nickel is a very smooth metal and does not leave deposits in the barrel) and cosmetic reasons.

The fixing method for the cap on the bullet changed some 4 years ago. Version 1 was welded onto the metal with an ultrasonic welding process. If the cap came off, it could not be put back on by the user. Version 2 has a press fit mount. If the cap would come off, it can be snapped on again by the users. The cap may occationally comes off if the user presses the bullet too hard on the front lip of the magazine. We have never experienced this problem but it was reported to us by some security companies who empty and fill their magazines 3 times per day (shift change).

The composition of the plastic was also changed with Version 2. The cap will now desintegrate 30cm after the muzzle in 95% of the shots whereas before a paper target at 5m would sometimes have a secondary hole from the plastic cap.

I have taken a picture of the 60gr version for you:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Sentry 60gr Montage.jpg
    Sentry 60gr Montage.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 143

Odd Job

@ BlueHeeler

You're right, it is fairly difficult for a white male in his thirties to get somewhere career-wise in the public health sector in SA these days. It is a shame because it is a beautiful country and there are still quite a few people left in the medical field whom I hold in the highest regard, particularly when it comes to trauma.
I am looking into Australia and New Zealand as a next step. It is a pity that my experience with gunshot wounds (the imaging thereof mainly) will not be of much use there. The people who can make the most 'use' out of me are the Americans, but...

a) they don't recognise my qualification (in fact they don't recognise the majority of foreign radiography qualifications). I would have to train all over again as a student otherwise I wouldn't be ARRT certified.

b) a radiographer there (a radiologic technologist) does not have nearly the same status as his UK/SA/Australian colleagues. That applies to any opinion he may offer on a radiograph, and also his perceived academic ability. I found that out when I tried to publish my book there. This may be a general attitude in the US medical community because I haven't experienced such feelings of disdain or reluctance to help in other communities, such as the firearms and toolmarks forensic community. The allied medical communities and their boards could take a leaf out of TFL's book and be a bit more welcoming...even if it is the 'unwashed masses' such as foreign radiographers :p

Jehzsa

Thanks for the information, Odd Job. FWIW, I still haven't seen the blue cap here in the US.

Don't know why but I keep thinking that the individual with the gunshot knee is rather grateful that his patella was apparently untouched.

Deadman

Odd Job, FWIW due to the fact that it is closer to S.A. than most other Western regions, Perth Australia has quite a significant S.African population.
There's plenty of support for the Springboks at any rate. :cool:

As for -

It is a pity that my experience with gunshot wounds... will not be of much use there

I wouldn't sell Sydney, Aus. short in that regard. :(