Green Dot 9mm load suggestions

HistoryJunky

Hey all. I almost have a very basic setup complete for starting to reload, and I ended up getting a pound of Green Dot on clearance at my local fun shop. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a lot of recommended loads for Green Dot in 9mm both in a couple manuals I have or on the internet.

Is Green Dot not suggested for use in 9mm or am I just missing out on something? If anyone has loads they use or have used, I would certainly be interested. I'm not picky with projectile weight or composition, as they are one of the things I still need to buy.

jaguarxk120

Lyman in the 49th edition book lists Green Dot for 90 and 120 grain cast bullets.
No listings for jacketed bullets.

Nick_C_S

I checked my Speer, Hornady, & Sierra. I got nothing.

Although Green Dot is one of those "crossover" shotgun/pistol powders, it seems to be used almost exclusively for shotgun.

With the shortages of today, we use what we can find. But in general, after years of experience, I stay away from the "Dot" powders. They were made for shotguns. I have better results loading my pistol ammo with powders designed for pistols.

HistoryJunky

Yes the shortage is the primer driver as to how I got the pound of Green Dot. That and I only paid $12 for it. I've found a few loads for it online, but I don't know if I should trust them. My handgun, an Arcus 98DAC is rated for +P, but I just want to be as careful as possible.

madmo44mag

Green Dot sucks IMHO for anything but shot guns

Take what they give you for jacketed bullets and back it down 15% and you SHOULD be ok.

Find a better powder.

SonOfGun

I find that Green Dot works well in 9mm with 125 cast. I get a little over 1000 fps with no leading and lighter felt recoil.

(sorry, I do not post load data)

HistoryJunky

That's fine, I appreciate your input. Could you tell me what load manual you got that from? I'm looking into buying a few more.

Nick_C_S

Speer #10

Just for fun - knowing that Green Dot was once more popular - I dug up my old Speer # 10 - May 1982 printing.

Lo and behold, it does have a Green Dot listing for 125g Lead Round Nose.

The following is obsolete and is not to be considered usable load data:

Speer #10, 9mm, 125g LRN - 3.8g minimum (869 fps); 4.2g maximum (990 fps).

Nick_C_S

what exactly makes load data obsolete?

In the case of Speer #10, Speer #11 makes it obsolete. Every load manual I've ever read states that the most recent manual supersedes all previous data.

Also, powders can change formula, as well as other changes (primers, bullet design, firearm design/strength, SAAMI specifications, etc.) that can occur through the course of the years.

Jim Watson

I started with an opinion on Internet Disclamers about how powder characteristics have been changed over time and without notice, but thought better of it.
I am at present loading based on trials done 12 years ago and the ammo shoots the same as it did then.

I was once offered some Green Dot at a very low price. I checked the then (1999) data and bought it. It was a decent pistol powder but not so great that I bought more at full price.
In 9mm P:
145 gr LRN + 3.7 gr Green Dot = 984 fps in 4.5" MAXIMUM LOAD
115 gr JHP + 4.6 gr Green Dot = 1152 fps in 5" Only .1 gr below Alliant Maximum for 1999.

HistoryJunky

Thanks for the data. In those of you that reload for 9mm with any powder, what bullet weight seems to be most consistent in regards to accuracy? I will probably be starting with cast bullets.

Nick_C_S

If I were going for maximum accuracy with cast bullets in 9mm, I'd go with 147's. They have maximum barrel to drive band contact.

loademwell

I got one....

Its an old reloading book... If you want I can tell ya what book.. Here ya go:
OH, Its for Alloy loads...... OK

90g. #2 alloys RN
4.3 - 6.0
1095 - 1325 fps
20,400 - 31,000 Pressure cup

120g. #2 alloys RN
3.5 - 4.4
966 - 1152 fps
26,200 - 32,800 pressure cup

HistoryJunky

Sure, I would like to know what book you got those loads from if possible. I'm trying to get paper copies of important things such as loading manuals.

Real Gun

I have a chart I downloaded from one of the sites, maybe accuratereloading, that shows Alliant's own data, predating PowerPro 300-MP.

The load listed for 9mm, 125g lead, using Green Dot, shows max 5.2g, rated 1165fps, 32100 psi. There are other loads for 95FMJ, 115FMJ, 115JHP, 125FMJ, and 147XTP.

I have the file and will try to track down the reference for it and report back.