Green barrel slime

Dave P

New M1A, shooting S African ammo (FMJ), SS barrel. When I clean the barrel with brass brush and Hoppes, I get some green coloring on the patch. After being in closet for a week, get a bit more green slime in barrel, and in the throat. I've never seen this before. Seems to be brighter green than typical copper corrosion (oxide?). Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks
Dave P

Keith Rogan

Its copper. You either have a rough barrel that could use some lapping or the jackets on the ammo you're using are softer than normal. Probably the barrel, get a barrel lapping kit from Brownells and go to work.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

HankL

If it were me, I would clean the barrel and try some US GI or commercial ammo before going the lapping route. Just a thought.

Tom Matiska

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave P:
..... When I clean the barrel with brass brush and Hoppes, I get some green coloring on the patch........P[/quote]

Jacket material is the first good guess, but another good one is the brass brush. Some soft brass (copper and zinc alloy) brushes get eaten alive by Hoppes#9. Try a nylon brush and see if you notice less green.

Tom

Chad Young

Try a phosphor bronze brush instead. Gale McMillan in an earlier post recommended strongly against the use of nylon brushes.

Dave P

Thanks for the info. I will try different ammo, and a Phosphor Bronze brush, for now. Lapping later, if I have to.

Dave