Greater Accuracy potential in 7mm

hgmeyer

So, from a case standpoint only; .280 or 7mm RM (or another 7mm) for 600 yards and more.

I have a 7mmRM and know the quirks of the headspace on the belt issues.

I have decided to treat myself to a barrel burner/reach out and touch it new rifle built on a Savage action and want it in 7mm. I love the potential of .284 bullets. My days of wandering over hills and dales is in the past. I am just going to be punching paper, so boat anchor weight won't be an issue and the 7mm can be built pretty heavy to soak up recoil.

Bart B.

The US Army used the 7mm SAUM winning long range matches at last years Nationals. It's an excellent 28 caliber choice.

AllenJ

7WSM and as stated above the 7SAUM are both good choices for that distance. To tell the truth the 7mm Rem Mag is also a fine choice. The range I use goes up to 550 yards and my son shoots his 7mm Rem Mag with good results out to that distance.

std7mag

There is always the 7mm Dakota, or the 7mm Canadian Magnum.
Ultra Mag always another option out there.

For me, IF I had the money, I'd probably go the Dakota..

Bart B.

If one's familiar with all the accuracy problems reloading belted cases trying to make 25 or more of them shoot inside 3/4 MOA at 1000 yards in as many minutes, they'll use rimless bottleneck cases. It's easy to shoot that accurate with new belted cases.

hgmeyer

"If one's familiar with all the accuracy problems reloading belted ... It's easy to shoot that accurate with new belted cases."

Okay, I AM familiar with the accuracy problems with belted cases.... what is with the comment about new cases... I am confused (easily done).

Clark

Of all the cartridges I ever hunted with an target practiced to see how far away I could hit a kill zone sized target, the 7mmRemMag is the best.

old roper

In the 7mm got to look at what bullet you want to shoot right now the 180gr VLD from Berger seem to be the one to shoot LR.

There is few beltless 7mm case 7LRM,7RUM,7WSM and you could them headspace the belted mag on the shoulders if you wanted. I had my new 270Wby build that way.

If you want to get above the 3000fps with the 180gr the 7RUM and 7LRM would be a good choice.

Well good luck

Bart B.

Okay, I AM familiar with the accuracy problems with belted cases.... what is with the comment about new cases... I am confused
Decades ago when very good 30 caliber match bullets were finally available, folks winning matches with the 30 caliber belted magnums noticed they got better accuracy with new cases than any fired ones full length sized with standard dies. Especially when they headspaced on their shoulders. That's always well centered both case necks and bullets in the chamber neck and throat so they started into the rifling correctly for best accuracy.

Their best way to get good accuracy with fired cases was to make a body die that sized fired cases all the way to the belt getting rid of that tiny ridge a few thousandths in front of the belt caused by cases expanding against the chamber wall with their belt a few thousandths back from the headspace ridge in the chamber. A collet die's made today that works well to size cases back to virtual new case diameter at that point eliminating that ridge that interferred with headspacing on the belt: www.larrywillis.com

Last edited:

Bart B.

One thing to consider when choosing a caliber for long range accuracy is barrel life. When the 7mm Rem Mag became popular for such events in competition, folks learned they got about 800 to 900 rounds of sub MOA accuracy at 1000 yards. That's with 65 to 68 grains of powder under 168-gr. bullets. Burning more powder under heavier bullets will shorten barrel life considerably for the same accuracy level with a new barrel.

The popular 6.5x.284 round used in long range matches typically has its barrel replaced at 700 to 800 rounds. The 30 caliber belted magnums typically went 1200 rounds for sub MOA accuracy at long range, but their heavier recoil made them harder to shoot accurately off ones shoulder.