Great video of bullet yaw and precession

FrankenMauser

As the title says, here is a great video of a bullet yawing and precessing.

Discussions rarely have good visuals for the phenomena.
Bookmark this one for when it's needed.

The good stuff starts at about 6:06.
https://youtu.be/xpJ8EoGmLuE?t=365

It may be a very big bullet, but the physics are the same.
Note the shockwave that's visible, even when they weren't set up with the intent of capturing it.

Last edited:

SaltyPirate

That was beautiful, mesmerizing. I could watch stuff like that all day. What an experience it must be in person.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Hal

Amazing.

I would have lost a lot of money betting against something like that happening.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Wow. I try to keep up with them, but somehow I missed that one.

I knew that bullets yawed and precessed, but I didn't think it would be that much.

jmr40

That was great. If seeing an artillery round deflect after hitting a watermelon doesn't disprove the theory that large caliber rifles don't get deflected by brush nothing will.

Mike38

I think I once heard or read that a 155mm projectile weighs right around 150 pounds. Something like that can be deflected by a watermelon? Amazing.

Atticus Thraxx

I thought it odd how twice in the first firing the round starts to yaw and corrects itself. That shock wave, I've never seen it so clearly visible. Cool stuff!

JohnKSa

Administrator
That was great. If seeing an artillery round deflect after hitting a watermelon doesn't disprove the theory that large caliber rifles don't get deflected by brush nothing will.
Very instructive, and not something that most people would be willing to accept unless they saw it happening.
I thought it odd how twice in the first firing the round starts to yaw and corrects itself.
That's what the rifling does for you. It probably keeps wobbling for quite a long distance downrange, but the spin keeps it stable. Otherwise it would just tumble.