Great place for a gun

spacecoast

My Toyota has a small hidden compartment in the center console ahead of the gear shift, under the "storage area", and tonight I checked and was delighted to see that my LCP (recently retired in favor a Kahr P380 for routine carry) fits in there just perfectly. It's a great, easily-accessed but unnoticed spot to keep a backup for the Model 10 snubby I keep in the center console under my elbow. Plus, if I find I need a pocket gun for a quick trip into the store and don't have my Kahr on me, it's just a quick reach away.

Nothing like a flash to bring out the dirt in your car. :eek:

IMG_1133600x800_zps75731dfd.jpg

IMG_1134600x800_zpsa06920ca.jpg

IMG_1132600x800_zps1252bada.jpg

Last edited:

BigD_in_FL

Can you access it while driving 80 on the interstate and a road rage incident starts? If yes, then cool, if not, find another place. MY car has a huge map pocket in the driver's door - and being LH - my 642 sits in a holster in there more often than not. Easily reachable at any time

spacecoast

Can you access it while driving 80 on the interstate and a road rage incident starts? If yes, then cool, if not, find another place.

Actually, I think I could, however in that case I would likely be reaching first into the center console for my .38 snubby, which is as easy or easier to reach. Like I said, this is a backup and a convenient place to store a pocket gun without it getting lost.

MattShlock

That IS a convenient hidden spot -- nobody'd know it was there! Maybe put a strong magnetic clasp in there just in case and make it so you really have to pry it...

kilimanjaro

If you're driving 80 MPH on the Interstate, just drive or brake out of the problem, don't reach for the pistol until you come to a stop.

Sport45

spacecoast said:
My Toyota has a small hidden compartment...

It's not so "hidden" anymore. Now we all know about it. :)

BigD in Fl said:
Can you access it while driving 80 on the interstate and a road rage incident starts?

As kilimanjaro points out above, there are much better things to be doing at 80mph than reaching for a gun. The gun won't help you a bit when you're bouncing across the median into oncoming traffic becaus eyou were distracted.

hardhat harry

Drawing your weapon (from where ever it resides) should be done by practice, NOT requiring one to look for it. If you can't do it by ROTE, try somewhere else. I agree with the OP, an excellent place for storage of a BUG for a quick stop in the store.

bt380

Some states may be different than mine as to where a concealed weapon may be located. A conceal carry permit in my state means on the person (RCW 9.41.050 - 2a-i). If I carry a weapon off my person, the weapon must not have the mag inserted (RCW 77.15.460 - 5). There are other variables to this but this is the general idea and a place to look it up. Your state will have the same similar revised code resources. Rather than lose a conceal carry license and deal w/ the booger on your record, follow the law and support gun carry integrity. Ask a couple police and highway patrol types for their understanding of the rules so a misread or a coffee shop opinion doesn't land you in hot water.

db4570

It looks like a cool spot, but I may be a little nervous about a kid finding it. Kids have this knack for poking around in cars and discovering the most amazing things.

David

HKD

Here's how mine sets while I'm in the truck. I have my CHL in Ohio so this is good for me. Magna-arm, haven't had any problems with it moving around. Set on there nice an tight. Holds 15 lbs.

jedusa7e.jpg

e2a7aqym.jpg

Hansam

If its your EDC gun putting it on the vehicle in a compartment or even on a magnet is not my idea of a great place for a gun. As a BUG however a hidden location is a good idea. Hanging a handgun on the console like that isn't such a good idea - too visible and really if that's your EDC you should have the gun on your person.

I keep a BUG in my vehicle too when I drive but its in a concealed compartment made to look like just another part of the vehicle and placed in an area I can get to easily but once there it looks as though its supposed to be there and is solid (ie no compartment) so people who go looking for things to steal in my vehicle would not look there.

Sport45

HKD said:
Here's how mine sets while I'm in the truck. I have my CHL in Ohio so this is good for me. Magna-arm, haven't had any problems with it moving around. Set on there nice an tight. Holds 15 lbs.

(pics not attached)

It looks secure enough when parked or driving, but I bet if you get in a wreck the first pic becomes the "before" and the second pic is "after" and God only knows where the pistol winds up after it bounces off your foot.

Sevens

So many things I don't like.
(don't worry, I know I don't -have- to like what others do, I only have to like what I do, but here on a discussion forum, I'll add my thoughts. You may like them even less than I like some of these ideas...)

The magnet mount. In the image, it's at least pleasing to see that the pictured Glock is uncocked/empty. Because having a striker fired semi-auto with -NO- manual safety mounted with any method that doesn't securely cover the trigger is a Plaxico Burris kind of idea, unless we are now talking about carrying a defensive handgun without a chambered round...which is a whole other "bad idea" discussion, but may be even more questionable if you need two hands to ready the pistol while driving a vehicle.

The idea of leaving a gun in the car in cubbyholes and consoles in the first place is one I simply can't get on board with. Storing a gun in one of these places when you are traveling somewhere, especially on a long trip is fine... but parked in the driveway? Street in front of the house? Supermarket parking lot? Or any of a litany of other places where it might be quickly and easily stolen? Not for me, thanks.

There's also a royally nasty can of worms that get opened in the event that anyone else in your circle has access to your vehicle.
That's a felony in many states, if your wife or older children happen to borrow the vehicle with a gun stuffed somewhere within reach if they don't happen to also possess a valid license for carry.

Okay, this is where most close with "flame suit: on", I'll say that in my own different way.

Yeah, I know each reply that takes issue with _____ I just posted will have wonderfully specific opt-out clauses that fit exactly them.
"I never park anywhere"
"nobody borrows my damn truck"
"ain't my fault or concern if some punk steals my gun, that's illegal anyway"

Sure, I get all that. I'm not even suggested ANYONE doesn't do it, I'm explaining why I don't do it.

And yes, I do have occasion to leave a gun in a car -- when I go somewhere that I'm not legally allowed to carry. But I don't dedicate one to the car to always be available to be stolen or to be there to issue a felony to anyone that might end up having to take my vehicle in my absence.

Don't be offended at my post.

spacecoast

And yes, I do have occasion to leave a gun in a car -- when I go somewhere that I'm not legally allowed to carry. But I don't dedicate one to the car to always be available to be stolen or to be there to issue a felony to anyone that might end up having to take my vehicle in my absence.

Don't be offended at my post.

No offense taken, I think it's a decision both of us have discussed previously, and may be somewhat driven by circumstances. 99% of the time, my car is either 1) being driven (by me), 2) parked in my garage at home (door closed) or 3) locked and parked in the lot where I work. I can't carry at work, and I'm not willing to drive around unarmed (through some rough neighborhoods, but that is not a huge influence on my decision). I decided a long time ago that the risk of a relatively minor monetary loss of the gun is well worth the ability to have a gun with me when I'm in the car. Putting the LCP to its cubbyhole now allows me to have a carry gun with me pretty much whenever I am out.

Sevens

If there's ever a slight chance that your car needs to be picked up, moved, driven somewhere, delivered, borrowed, or otherwise piloted by you, you may have to ensure ahead of time that the person who ends up tasked with that holds a valid license for carry. Of course, this depends on State laws where the car may be.

And consider a scenario that is 100% abnormal and NOT one that could ever be planned or foreseen. Perhaps you end up with chest pains and get delivered to the hospital by an ambulance and your car needs to be picked up by a wife or daughter or _______.

Depending on where you live, that could be a short, unintended recipe for a felony. Maybe you'd even be in an unconscious state in the hospital, with no ability to warn the mother in law that goes to pick up your vehicle.

Again, I'm just saying. I'm all in favor of everyone doing as they please, but mention this just as a point to ponder & plan around. And in the event someone might wish to respond with "awww, c'mon, what are the chances of THAT happening?!" I'd say the chances are far greater than the chance you'd need to use a defensive handgun... or FAR less than the chance that you'd need to employed a stowed backup defensive handgun. ;)

pandafp

To add to Sevens, if someone steals your car or gets access to that gun if not securely stored based on your state laws you can be found guilty of those crimes as well based on the foreseeability of torts.