Great news!

grubbylabs

I just found out my brother in law is going to sell me one of his RCBS Rock Chukars for 60 bucks. He has some other "extra" stuff as well I will probably by as well.

Was going to get a lee turret press but I have been hearing things about how they have a tendency to break.

grubbylabs

I have a good scale and I think he also has a case trimmer I can buy from him as well. I also have a digital caliper.

So hand primer what is every one using?

Dies? 45acp and 308

Powder dispenser?

Tumbler?

case lube?

Bushings?

any thing else?

any input would be good.

Mike1

The Rock Chucker is a great press, and that price is not too bad.

Some suggestions:

Hand primer: Lee Auto Prime with shell holders, or RCBS Universal (doesn't need separate shell holders)

Dies: 45 ACP - someone's Carbide set
308 - anyone's standard 2 die set

You'll also need shell holders for each. If you get the more expensive Lee sets, you'll get the shell holder in the sets.

Tumbler: lots of choices. Mine is a Lyman 1200 that works just fine. Corn cob cleans best, while walnut shells give a great polish. Use Flitz or something with the media.

Case lube: Imperial sizing wax

You may also consider a media separator such as the small Dillon model, loading blocks (the universal ones are handy), and MTM or other boxes for your loaded ammo, a case trimmer (you probably will never have to trim the 45 cases), and a source for brass. Depending on how hot you load the 308, your cases will last from 3-4 shots up to a dozen or more with annealing.

Edit: reread your post - get the trimmer too.
PS: also read the Sticky about new reloaders and equipment. Particularly books.

Last edited: