Great Morning for hunting! Warning: Graphic photo's

Yithian

It was a little warm this morning, but the sun was rising and the sky was clear.
Not much in the way of wind either, but it was somewhat at our face at least.

Not sure why, but I was just happy to be out there this week.
I could've honestly cared less what showed up at the feeder.
ATTT and I were going to have a good day.

We set up inside the blind just about a half hour before sunrise.
Sat real quiet too. No talking, eating or moving around.
The feeder went off and we could just barely see it any better than with just the moon to light it.
Nothing at the feeder.
Sat for ten minutes, occasionally chatting about "where"s and "why"s of the lack of deer the last two weeks, when I saw a dark spot move off the right of the feeder.
The light had gotten to the point where seeing the feeder was easy without a scope or binoculars. There was something down there. Looked like a moving stone from our 100 yard vantage.
I raised the new rifle and looked thru the scope.
Such a cute little animal. It still amazes me, at the tiny little hands a raccoon has.
With my new scope, I thought he was a plump medium sizer.
"We was after der deer doe."
So we sat content and watched as this little cute thief ate the deer corn.
It had wandered directly under the feeder and was behind wintered branches of some bushes. So, a shot with a V-MAX was out of the question anyway.

After 20 minutes of watching this little dark puff-ball,
"Quiet" had left our vocabulary. We began to chat and chuckle.
Even sang a little jig.
We had named the little thief... It's name was Jimmy.
Jimmy was still down there eating corn like a kid in an All You Can Eat M&M Factory.
I thought, "Surely, he's gonna get full soon."
(By now, you may have guessed it.
We were singing, "Jimmy cracked corn, and I don't care.")

Well, Jimmy began to wander back out from under the feeder whence he came.
Still cramming corn in his face.
ATTT had to water some bushes. And then, so did I.
Jimmy had almost completely exposed himself.
I moved my chair around, and my cushion, to get more comfortable.
Jimmy had come out in the open again.
I took the shot at the little thief's head.
I jerked the trigger, and pulled the shot to the right 2 inches. But, that didn't matter. I was over his head by an inch or so as well.
Jimmy scurried off behind a tree, where I couldn't see him.
ATTT broke out his rifle.
"Do you still see him?" I asked.
"Yep." says he, four feet to my right.
I sat patiently, watching to see where Jimmy ran off to.
He waddled his way back out from under the tree.
"Can I try again?" says I.
"Sure." says ATTT.

I'll never understand this.
Maybe Jimmy was stupid, but...
Jimmy the Coon walked right back to where he was when I missed. And began to eat again.
This little 'tard has a sonic boom go off an inch from his ear, and he returns for more thievery to the exact same spot!
I Kentucky Windage'd my elevation, and began squeezing the trigger.
My aim (this time) was true, exact, and deadly.

Click photos for larger sizes
Graphic pic here. Click this text to open it up
Yes, that's his eye. No, there was no socket holding it in there. The only thing I like more than clean misses, is clean kills.

Jimmy was a tiny little runt.
He wasn't medium sized at the least. Heck, Jimmy wasn't even a boy.
Jimmy, was this tiny, one pound at most, female raccoon.
How the heck she stuffed several cups of corn in her stomach is still beyond my comprehension.
She must've been freshly off the teet, empty stomach'ed, and inexperienced.
Wonderfully soft fur coat tho. I can't wait to have it tanned.

While I'm back up the hill, near the truck, skinning Jimmy, ATTT is making a commotion back at the blind.
He had rattled up a buck WAY past the feeder.
ATTT is a great shot, but he wasn't using our favorite V-MAX's.
Hornady doesn't make a .338 V-MAX.
I hear the AR-10T bark twice.
ATTT misjudged the bullet drop at that distance, and missed the head both times.
Both shots still hit.
One in one artery, the other in the other artery.
It's an odd way to happen, but a clean kill is still a clean kill.
The deer fell at the first hit. Picked his head up...
And never moved without assistance, after that.
Lack of blood pressure to the brain is an instant KO. Bleeding-out did the rest.

Roughly ~160 Lbs.

Yithian

I'm saving these photos for posterity...
ATTT has a very rare occasion to leave a downed deer's head intact.
That's why I never post other pics. And why I suspect he doesn't either.
LOL

armedtotheteeth

Hmm .. Ewe! Blood. Not my idea to post but anyways. yeha it was fun. You can notice the head is not damaged, but I got him in the throat. A 338 Federal sighted in at 100 yards drops about 5 inches at 200 yards, A good bit more than my 223, or 300 Win mag. As you can also tell, my truck has a little damage from last weeks kill. (Stupid Doe) As someone has said on here. A moving car is proof the slow heavy bullet theory works. That was one of the deadest deer i have ever seen, and it was 45 MPH.

simonkenton

I am not sure why you would shoot a little raccoon.
She didn't know she was stealing, she was just eating food she found.
If you saw a chipmunk eating the corn would you shoot him?

Is it raccoon season where you are? Do you even care if it was legal to kill this animal?

Yithian

Me thinkest these people don't know a varmint when they see them.
Coons are terrible smart. And very agile.
If I left the coon to live, it would take residence and eat all the corn it could every day. Corn I bought for the welfare of the deer that I eat, and deer that are left to breed more deer.

That coon will figure out where the corn emits from and climb up the feeder, down the can, and to the disc.
It will then proceed to dispense all the corn it can to the ground, jump down and eat it. When she gains her own family, she will teach all of them how to do it as well.
It is amazing, but a group of them will empty a 55 gallon drum of corn in a week or less.
We load it up, and time it to feed deer for a two to three month timespan.
Our local deer wont be getting much in this thorny brushland if it all hits the deck within a week.
We don't go out there that often. And we don't care to feed an animal we won't eat. And I didn't spend the money on the corn for it to be wasted.

Coons are treated as varmints in Texas. They are open season, day and night, as many as you can get.
So are chipmunks.
Now if we had chipmunks, that would be fun too. Not enough food here for them tho.

She was just a "domino" in the chain. I knocked her out to keep the status quo.

Last edited:

simonkenton

My dad taught me not to shoot something that I was not going to eat.
I am sorry for you, that you think it is a source of comedy, to shoot an innocent creature that you do not intend to eat.
God Bless You Yithian.

armedtotheteeth

I THINK HE DID EAT IT. He ate the damn bobcat I shot last year! :barf: He kept talking about how it tasted different and if it would make good jerky. I know he took the hide from the coon. He eats everything. I do prefer though the corn we bought and hauled down to the feeder make it back into my freezer some way or another.

wpcexpert

Dang Bleeding Hearts...wait, I love bleeding hearts:D:D

Coons, like everything need to be culled also. And if those of you do not want to shoot them, great. But when you say things like you did, you are taking the same stance as every other anti-hunter. Some animals are to be killed and not eaten, deal with it. I don't feed coons, I feed deer.

Maybe yall don't understand the order of things, let me break it down for you. The block of country side that Yithian and ATTT are hunting are pre-designed to home/support a certain number of critters. They are adjusting that balance by feeding the deer. This helps the deer herd for harvesting. In that adjustment, other critters also benifit from the added food, critters that normally would not have food. So Yithian and ATTT are being good stewards by eliminating the effect of the added food. Coons not only can demolish a corn pile, but the also can negitavely effect a turkey population. Once there are more coons with enough food they will affect the rest of the eco-system.

Hunters bring balance to the outdoors. With our constant invasion and destruction of wildlife homes, we must ensure survival of species by hunting.

Last edited:

armedtotheteeth

Yes that was a bloody shot. Sorry to offend, but my knuckleheaded buddy posted them. :D
Anyways, I dont feel bad for the coon. I would not have shot it, as I havent shot a coon in 20 years since I had one for a pet. ( they are really cool pets, if you raise them from cubs, puppies,. kittens or whatever they are called. Neat little critters.
I did not want him eating all the corn we put out for the deer. Coons can eat anything.. dead deer guts, fish, turkey eggs, whatever. Deer down here , all rather malnurished. For some reason, there was no acorns this year. This left us with not much for deer, and small racks .. like this little 12 incher. He was a fairly big bodied 8 point. I dont care no how, anters dont even make good chili

onthejon55

haha nice coon! i had a shot at one this year twice but it was the same one and ive heard stories about his the last two years. hes a brownish color with half a tail so i know its the same one. i might have to stick him next time though:)

UniversalFrost

quick question, why the heck did you shoot at the head? it is a small moving target compared to the vital organs shot right behind their shoulder. really easy to wound and/or maim a deer if you shoot for the neck or head.

as for the coon, i only shoot full grown ones that offer a good pelt. sounds like you guys were having too much liquid fun to have any common sense. :barf:

armedtotheteeth

Uhm I dont shoot deer in the chest. It ruins too much meat. I have killed the last 20 or so deer with head shots. as long as you dont take a profile shot at the head, you either miss it , or drop it right there. You miss the head, you hit it in the neck. My dad shot a Deer in the shoulder with this 338 Federal 3 weeks ago and it totally wrecked both shoulders. at least 15 pounds of meat left to rot at at the boneyard, and we had to go find hte deer in the thick West Texas "waitaminute!" bushes. The deer i Shot 2 minutes later with my Ar15 at 100 yards died in his tracks. Far far More humane kill IMO. The deer that was shot through the heart had time to think about dying, and run. The deer i shot in the head didnt have time to blink.

Yithian

We don't drink, or allow drinking when we are handling firearms. Nuff said about that.

We also hunt the way we are comfortable. You can hunt the way you choose.
You don't hear me telling someone how to enjoy thier experience. Don't tell me how to enjoy mine.

Or have you noticed that common sence today involves AWB's?
Oh. Wait a sec. I'm soap-boxing to the choir. Nevermind.

kingudaroad

With my new scope

I jerked the trigger, and pulled the shot to the right 2 inches

I Kentucky Windage'd my elevation

ATTT is a great shot, but he wasn't using our favorite V-MAX's

ATTT misjudged the bullet drop at that distance, and missed the head both times

Four shots and only one hit the point of aim. Taking head shots at 2 1/2 year old bucks. I nominate you guys "Sportsmen of the Year"!:barf:

wpcexpert

Four shots and only one hit the point of aim.

Point of aim being the size of a quarter. You may be a better shot or you know your abilities and would never take a head shot on a coon at 100yds. But hitting a target the size of a quarter, not on a bench, takes a pretty good durn shot. But if you notice, the missed shots missed completely. If they would have hit low, same effect...dead...but with head entact.

Just because you can't/won't is no reason to start eye pokin folks that can/do.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I rather enjoy the challenge of callin a tuff shot and hitting it... I took a bunny with a called head shot from 60-70 yards with the .22 and my daughter knew she needs to get better than MORabbit to run with the old dog...
Brent

Gbro

That kill looks Kosher!
I can surly see why a CNS shot would be appropriate in that environment!

I would like to question the;
I jerked the trigger, and pulled the shot to the right 2 inches.

Why would you Jerk the trigger??????????

Then the statement;
ATTT is a great shot, but he wasn't using our favorite V-MAX's.
Hornady doesn't make a .338 V-MAX.
I hear the AR-10T bark twice.
ATTT misjudged the bullet drop at that distance, and missed the head both times.
ATTT, What happened here?
Now from what is inferred, someone(?) didn't, Well you explane please.

I didn't hunt very hard "again" this year and didn't see so much as a tail. But my Grandsons didn't see anything either. Except for the oldest, He dropped another for the 3rd year, But he hunts in an area closer to town where there is considerable deer feeding (hopefully by non-hunters). Feeding deer in MN is against the law. including an 8 day period of hunting an area that had been baited, Not quite as restrictive as federal waterfowl rules, but close!

I guess where I am going with this is, baiting is a controversial practice. Some will look to your methods as non-sportsman and more. As for me, I could care less. in fact if i was to hunt in that ugly area I would probably bait also;).