Great Grandpa's gun

TomADC

Seems funny this old A H Fox SxS belonged to my Great Grandfather he bought it in 1913, its been mine for many years and BTW I have four great grandkids!

411180576.jpg

TomADC

Winchester Model 40 skeet gun they shot skeet with it as did I years back. They had a history of cracking the stock, this one looks fine.

411172130.jpg

Slamfire

For the pre WW1 shotgun, the steels then were unpredictable due to the poor process controls of the period and the basic lack of understanding of metallurgy. We know that Springfield Armory did not have temperature gages in the forge rooms, probably did not have temperature gages anywhere heat was applied to metal. Instead, they relied on human eyeballs to judge heat by the color of the metal. I expect that commercial manufacturers were similarly behind in process technology. Instead of precisely being heat treated, older steel varies a lot in heat treatment, the worst case is if it was over heated and turned into a brittle part.

Plus, they were using plain carbon steel in firearms. Alloy steels, which totally outclass plain carbon steels in all structural applications, except cost, were not being used back then, except by Winchester. I have looked at Springfield Class C steel, which is typical of the era, that stuff is so low grade that it is used for rebar and rail road ties. The fatigue life of plain carbon steels is about a half to a third that of modern alloy steels.

So, if you shoot your shot gun, I would recommend only light target loads, nothing hot or magnum, as the firearm has already had one lifetime of use, and the uncertainty of the steel quality.

TomADC

I've shot both of these in my younger days and my grandparents not only hunted with these but shot a lot of clays with them. Back then we used low base brass!
But no plans to shoot either, but I wouldn't be afraid to shoot that SxS at trap using target loads.

Last edited:

Pahoo

Another Fox remembered !!

I love that Fox and going to assume, that it is a 12Ga. Many moons ago, when I could not afford even a single-shot an old timer let me used his 20ga. As the kids now say; "SWEET"

Be Safe !!!