great gpa's h&r top break .32

troy_mclure

im trying to identify and value this revolver.

100_1216.jpg

100_1200.jpg

100_1219.jpg

100_1206.jpg

100_1201.jpg

the top strap reads:
Harrington & Richardson arms company
Worcester, mass. usa. pat. oct. 4. '87. apr. 2. '95. apr. 7. '96.

the serial # is on the but of the grip(A2 5 563). its a .32(im assuming s&w short(black or smokeless?)). the cylinder and ejector read "563".

its a 5 shot, its got a 3" barrel, nickel plating on all but the trigger, guard, and hammer. the plastic grips are not broken, but there is some pitting in the barrel, cylinder face, and on the muzzle. it also has quite a few scratches.
at "half cock" the cylinder moves right and left just off the chamber, but
it locks up up fairly tight.

my great grandfather got it in the 40's because somebody owed him money, and he took it and several other items instead.
my grandmother has been diagnosed with Alzheimer so my grandfather is getting rid of all his guns.

im planning on keeping this one but would like an accurate value to pay my grandfather.
id also like to occasionally shoot it as well if i can get the right ammo.

Gbro

My Guess would be Model 2 Double action revolver.
Price would be $150-200 in excellent condition.
That would be a Black Powder cartridge but if you had the brass I would think there would be a load suitable to be fired in yours.

32 Magnum

Member In Memoriam
troy,
You have a 1st Model PREMIER 5th Variation made in 1904, as indicated by the patent dates in the barrel rib stamp and the 'A' letter code preceding the serial number. This is the small frame auto ejecting revolver first made in 1895 and continued in production, in two model series, and a multitude of improvements, until the beginning of US involvement in WW2. The 1st Model was produced from 1895 thru 1904 as a 5 shot BLACK POWDER .32 S&W and a 7 shot .22 short or long (some will chamber long rifle cartridges - but the modern versions should not be fired in that model.)
Standard offering is: 3" barrel, Nickel plated; cylinder stop (keeps cylinder from "free wheeling" as found in earlier versions); 5 x .32 or 7 x .22 chambering; molded, black hard-rubber grip panels. Optional features are: 4", 5" or 6" barrel; blued finish (scarce); checkered walnut, Mother-of-Pearl and Ivory grip panels. Optional features will add extra value.
Value of this model and variation is primarily as a collectible item - because of the black powder restriction, it is not so much in demand as a shooter piece.
Current RETAIL value for a piece in V.GOOD condition (such as yours) is in the $150 to $175 range.
Here's a pic of one made around the same time as yours, that has some desireable "optional" features, including the spurless "safety hammer" which when installed on a revolver H&R used the "POLICE" designation.

IMG_1936_4.jpg

lowbud

I know this is an old thread.. but can anyone identify this one: Serial number has 204599 on the butt as well as the breech

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 72