Great fix for grip screws backing out!

HMC8404

I had a new model Colt .45 Series 70 1911 from the custom shop, and my major gripe right off the get-go was that those grip screws would begin backing out every time I'd put a box of ammo through it. I didn't want to put any locktight or chemical on the screws, so I took some on-line advice from someone which worked perfectly. I simply slipped a rubber O-ring around each screw like a washer (find the size which the screw barely fits through...I think they were #60s) and tightened them down. They never backed out again.

TunnelRat

Certain SIG models used to come with a knurled washer ala the link below for just what you're describing:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-grip-plate-washer-p220-p225-p232-p245.html

Your option is a clever fix. I will say I've never had any nervousness using a dab of BLUE loctite. It shouldn't do anything bad to the scew, frame, or grip. If you make the mistake of using RED loctite heaven help you trying to get it back out. Then you very well may need heat and solvents to get it out, if you manage not to loosen the bushing from the frame.

Last edited:

jaytothekizzay

No harm no foul with blue loctite... pretty easy to get loose when you want to... holds until you want to loosen. Sounds like a pretty slick fix with the rubber washers though

HMC8404 said:
I had a new model Colt .45 Series 70 1911 from the custom shop, and my major gripe right off the get-go was that those grip screws would begin backing out every time I'd put a box of ammo through it. I didn't want to put any locktight or chemical on the screws, so I took some on-line advice from someone which worked perfectly. I simply slipped a rubber O-ring around each screw like a washer (find the size which the screw barely fits through...I think they were #60s) and tightened them down. They never backed out again.
As confirmation that this works, the USMC specified this on the new Colt M45 Marine Corps version of the Rail Gun.

I have used this method and I have used Loctite. Blue or purple will work -- don't use red or green.

royal barnes

I don't care for Loctite on grip screws on any of my handguns. The #60 O rings work just fine, are easy to install or remove , and you don't have to take the screws down much more than finger tight. They won't work loose. Some grip screw makers sell them but you can get them at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. for cheap.:)