Great day at the range!

keano44

Yesterday I shot an honest half-inch group with my .223 Contender (14" Bull barrel) at 100 yds., off a Hornady Delta-rest with a sand bag under the pistol grip.
My friend and I spent the day shooting rifles at 100 & 300 yds. and I also shot my Contender with 14" .223 & 30-30 barrels. I was chronographing handloads for the .223 Contender and found this one particular load was shooting really good groups with 55 grain PSP bullets. My next load to chrono was the same load with the Hornady 55 grain V-Max bullets so I shot a "fresh target" and got the group in the attached photo's.
This was Lake City brass, once fired, full length re-sized with Lee dies, trimmed with Lee trimmer, and loaded on Lee dies on an old Lee Turret press. Nothing fancy or special. By the way, the load was 27.5 gr. H380. The OAL was set @ 2.260"
Didn't mean to sound like a Lee commercial, that's just what i started with, years ago, and it has served my needs.

Attachments

• .5 group 1.jpg
    .5 group 1.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 53
  • .5 group 2.jpg
    .5 group 2.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 38

Sevens

Very nice!
I have a Contender with a Super 14" .223 also. I've had mine quite a while (holy crap! has it been 17 years?) but haven't got to spend nearly as much "quality time" with it as it deserves. That has more to do with my propensity for playing with handguns at 15-25 yards then it does with anything else...

I've had decent luck with H335 and also with the harder to meter H4198. Like you, there's a lot of red colored equipment at my bench, but I use products from nearly all of the manufacturer's as I see fit.

But you know what my biggest roadblock seems to be? My scope. It's nothing fancy (Bushnell Trophy Handgun 2-6x X 32mm scope) but at 100 yards and even on 6x, I feel like I'm not seeing the target well enough to give myself a fighting chance at groups any smaller than an inch.

I've been shooting and handloading for 20 years and I've got "many" handguns (check recent thread activity for the definition of many! :D ) but I am the first to admit that I don't know SQUAT about optics.

I keep drooling over the Burris 12x (as far as I know, the only handgun scope that runs to 12x on the market) but you can't even get in to the same room with one until you have at least four bills on the table... and that's not even enough to take one home.

Contender guys and optic guys: Am I handicapping myself with this glass or is this a mental block and not a physical one?

keano44

Sevens, my 46 yr. old eyes ain't what they used to be, even a few short years ago. The scope on my 14" .223 Contender barrel is a Leupold FX-4. That is a straight 4 power. On the particular target in the picture, I couldn't even see the red dot I was aiming at once the crosshairs were on it. I just concentrated to center the crosshairs inside the outer ring (6).

lomax,
Mais, I tink I'll do dat, me; now dat I got sumptin dat shoots strate! :D