Grease question

odugrad

I'm sure this topic has come up a lot and there is no "right" choice. But I need some help finding a long lasting, effective grease for rails. I use Casey Birchwood SNO gun grease and it works pretty well. But it seems to evaporate quickly (at least in my opinion).

I have looked at the TW25b but it seems thin compared with other greases. Do you know if it works well?

Some things are really expensive and I don't have the money to try product after product.

So, what do you guys recommend?

PSP

I have looked at the TW25b but it seems thin compared with other greases. Do you know if it works well?

I like TW25b a lot because it is thinner than some other gun greases, yet it still stays where you put it and doesn't migrate to parts unknown. Does not evaporate readily either. I've tried many products and this is the one I've settled on for those three reasons.

MJFlores

Ya know, I used to use Wilson Combat grease. One day I tried wiping it all off and using a QTip with Ballistol. Ballistol is my go to gun lube now. You can spray it on slide rails, wipe most off with a QTip to the point where it looks like nothing is even there, and the gun stays slick and runs nice. You can feel the difference right away. My newest 1911 has never seen a drop of grease or anything else. I use ballistol on my AR Carrier assembly, bolt lugs, pistol slides, even the bolt and lugs of my bolt action rifles. I even go around outside and use it on pad locks, even my wood splitter recently. I really like it better than oils and grease now.

Grease doesn't really evaporate. What's likely happening is that as the slide cycles any excess is being pushed off the rails through natural flow.

I'm a firm believer in grease on my slide rails. But I'm an even firmer believer in cleaning it off and renewing it after every shooting session to remove any crud and crap that got caught in it.

745SW

I use Mobile 1 synthetic grease, it’s red in color and is good for temperature extremes. Firearms don’t require a specialized lube IMO. O-ring seals fit the bill for a specialized grease. I use Dow Corning 101, a silicon based grease I use on anything from watch gaskets to the gaskets on drinkable water filters. It to has a broad temperature range.

Dfariswheel

There really are no miracle greases or lubes.

For gun grease, you're just as well off to go to a hardware, farm supply, auto store, or Walmart and buy a tube of Lithium grease.
It's heat and water resistant, and works as well as anything else.

Under the brand name Lubriplate, Lithium grease was the specified lubricant for the M1 rifle and early M14 rifles.

DasGuy

I bought some Valvoline Synpower grease. I saw a lot of people recommending it. It will withstand down to -40F and up to 400F.

Something important to keep in mind is not to use grease that contains graphite on aluminum framed guns. Graphite will wear aluminum.

marine6680

Automotive grease works... but it is a bit too thick, it slows down the action. Its not bad when warm, but it can really thicken up in the cold.

There are different grades of grease thickness. I think standard auto grease is a 2 or 3 and its recomended to use a 0 or 1. (going off memory)

I personally use grease on sliding and high load areas. I use a grease designed for heavy machinery in food processing plants... It stands up to extreme stresses and harsh chemicals. It is an aluminum based rather than lithium like most common greases, so it has better properties. And because its designed for food processing equipment, its non-toxic. I deal with enough harsh chemicals, so eliminating one from my life is a good thing.

BuckRub

I'm not a big fan of grease. I know it sounds good but my guns are working guns and grease attracts sand and grit. And sand and grit when cycling isn't good. I guess if you cleaned your gun every day or always in a controlled environment like an indoor gun range it would be good. I use ProShot and go. I don't use grease.

IdahoG36

I'm not a big fan of grease. I know it sounds good but my guns are working guns and grease attracts sand and grit. And sand and grit when cycling isn't good.

For guns that I use for "other than the range" use, I also don't use any grease or oil, as it does attract dirt and dust. I use Otis dry film lubricant. It goes on as a liquid, and quickly dries. It does not feel oily to the touch, but it does lubricate well.

http://www.otisgun.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=DE142AF40B504195870EADBED8B7B9BB

bt380

I use shooters choice grease because it is local and I can get my hands on it.
-
After shooting, I use Hoppes #9 and clean the barrel. Then I spray clp on the gun and let it sit 10-15 minutes then blow off with air compressor. Wipe it down with blue paper auto shop towels and repeat the cycle. I try to remove every bit of clp I can. Then I use grease on the metal/metal parts very light w/ QTip. I can carry and not worry about oil residue in my clothing. I have let it sit 3 months and it is still there and works great.

Sheriff Gotcha

Are you opposed to using an oil product compared to a grease?

If not I would like to vouch for Ballistol. I have used Ballistol for my guns both inside and out without fail. I haven't cleaned my FNS in about 10 months and it's a regular carry gun, haven't had any problems with it. As well I haven't cleaned or really used my CZ in over a year and it still has a shining coat of Ballistol from when I wiped it down pre storage. Not to mention I store them in my damp basement.

As well it's not expensive at all. You can get a package deal on Amazon for a pretty low price that comes with a variety of aerosol can and non-aerosol can.

"I know it sounds good but my guns are working guns and grease attracts sand and grit."

Grease doesn't attract sand and grit any more than oil does.

The difference is that oil, because it flows, tends to carry sand and grit to other places, while grease stays put.