Grease on Kimbers?

jearne

Why does my manual tell me to not put grease on my Kimber?
I recently purchased a Pro CDP and I like to put a little grease on the slide rails of my guns. Kimbers manual says not to put grease on this gun. WHY? Does it have anything to do with the stainless slide and the aluminum frame?
I know grease collects powder residue but, I clean my guns everytime I shoot them so residue collection and build up is not a problem. :confused:

Monkeyleg

Not an expert by any means, but I think it may have to do with the slide-to-frame fit on Kimbers being very tight. All I do on mine is oil the rails and barrel, and clean them after every shoot.

Duke

Grease on kimber 1911

jearne

Hi, I have a Kimber Pro CDP along with 12 other 1911's. I have been using Wilson Ultima Lube grease during the summer months as it does not dry off and evaporate as does oil. During the winter months I use Ultima Lube Universal which is a blend of grease and oil.

I have been using this combination for over 20 years with no problems what so ever. If you want to use a good grease on your Kimber do it. :D

weldonjr2001

My WAG on this topic is that if left exposed for long to dust and grit, any grease can collect fine particles and turn itself into a fine grinding compound. Kimber is probably aiming this at the owner who would leave the grease in place for some time. A manufacturer always has to assume the worst case user. I use molybdenum disulfide automotive chassis grease on my Kimber (and all my other autos) slide rails and locking lug area, barrel bushing and all camming surfaces and clean it off and reapply each time I use the pistol. I also carry it so as to not be exposed to the elements. I assume that in some really cold ambient temperatures the grease could thicken enough to impede proper operation of the pistol. That's not a problem in my area, but I'm sure it is over a wide portion of the USA. I have also used synthetic motor oil with complete satisfaction, but I really like the moly grease.