Grandson's New Glock Ejection Problem

Skeets

Member in memoriam
Two weeks ago my grandson bought a new Gen4 Glock17.After firing 200+Rem-Umc 115gr.(only and fresh) he is being hit 2-3 times directly in the face with hot, ejected brass! Thank God for shooting glasses! I've owned Glocks since introduction have expierienced this quirk myself,but not with a new gun and 3 new factory magazines.TFL's knowledge is so helpful as I prepare to call Glock after final tests this week-end.Guys we appriciate your help. Skeets

g.willikers

It's going to be kind of tough trying to diagnose a problem with a less than 2% occurrence.
And it's always best to begin with the shooter.
Like maybe he's occasionally allowing his thumbs to ride the slide and slowing it down enough to alter the brass ejection.
Did he or you notice where all the other brass was being ejected, the ones not hitting him in the puss?
Hope he didn't do the hot brass dance and wave the pistol around in all directions.

P71pilot

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but are you sure the brass is not first hitting a range stall or wall or something then bouncing and hitting him in the head?

I have heard of this problem with the first batch of gen4 guns. Glock worked the issue out, but it is possible they put the gun together with a bad part or an old part that got mixed in with the fresh correct parts.

It would have to be an extractor or ejector problem, it is very unusual for a gun to throw brass straight back, and I am thinking it would be an extractor problem, as the slide coming back causes the brass (held by extractor) to hit the ejector (mounted to frame), the ejector only causes the brass to be kicked out, the contact point is the extractor claw, and the ejector hits the case on the opposite side of the brass causing the brass case to be kicked out in the way designed.

Something has to be really funky in order for it to be spitting brass straight back

FITASC

I have had the same results, depending on ammo; others have ejected nicely out to right and forward. Try different ammo to see if it continues.

Skeets

Member in memoriam
G17-G4 Ejection

Pilot,range is open on my farm.This week-end I'll be NEXT to him,I was told AFTER!Thanks for any and all help.

P71pilot

Maybe this glock has been sitting unsold for a while and is one of the first runs of the gen 4. Whatever is happening it should be sent back to glock unless you or someone you know is very familiar with gen4 glocks like a certified glock armorer. I know I wouldn't want to be hit in the face with hot brass.

Theohazard

Limp-wristing can cause this problem, and it's made worse with weaker range ammo. He should try having a more experienced shooter with a solid grip shoot the gun before he decides it's the gun's fault.

Sarge

It's an all too common problem with Gen 4 9mms. It's been brought up at armorer schools since they were introduced.

I was told off the record that Glock's position on this is 'If the gun is extracting and ejecting, the extractor and ejector are working properly.'

My position is to only buy Gen 2's and 3's.

TunnelRat

My position is to only buy Gen 2's and 3's.

I've had and seen it happen with new Gen 3s as well. It happened to mine until I swapped the ejector. I specifically look for and grab older Gen 3s when I see them.

Sarge

I'll take your word Tunnel Rat. I don't own any nines and the ones I've shot were personal guns brought to quals; vast majority were 3's.

JDBerg

I lived this problem with an early Gen4 Glock 22, Glock sent a replacement extractor to the gun store that had their own Glock armorer, unless something has changed, Glock won't send you the replacement part(s) directly. It could also be a Recoil Spring Assembly, but my gun had the correct RSA. The replacement ejector seemed to cure the problem but I didn't keep the gun.

Call Glock customer service at their U.S. Headquarters in Smyrna, GA, at 770-432-1202 & give them the serial number of the gun & they will either send the replacement parts to your local armorer, or they might issue you a Return Material Authorization to send the gun back to Glock in Smyrna, I'd recommend you push for the latter.

Last edited:

Theohazard

Doesn't it make sense to rule out limp-wristing before we recommend warranty service? Sure, it could be the gun's fault, but it could also be the shooter. It makes zero sense to start calling Glock and replacing parts before even thinking about ruling out shooter error.

I'd ask an experienced Glock user to try it to see if that happens to another shooter. If so, then it's the Glock.

I would compare the ejector angle to that of a Glock that doesn't cause that problem. While Glock doesn't want armorers to modify parts, that's what I would do.

g.willikers

Maybe these folks have the parts mentioned:
http://www.glockmeister.com/GLOCK-Pistol-Parts/departments/5/
http://www.topgunsupply.com/gun-parts/parts-for-glock-pistols.html
And others from a web search.
Before there were aftermarket sources for Glocks, a lot of folks ran into this problem of not being able to buy replacement parts.
Including very qualified gunsmiths who had not been through the Glock official armorer class, which were not always readily available.
And many just abandoned the make for something else with parts availability.

JDBerg

Doesn't it make sense to rule out limp-wristing before we recommend warranty service? Sure, it could be the gun's fault, but it could also be the shooter. It makes zero sense to start calling Glock and replacing parts before even thinking about ruling out shooter error.

Sure, I'd want to rule out limp-writing but it will take all of 10 minutes to call Glock CS to check the serial number of the gun, to verify that this "new" Gen4 isn't actually an early one without the ejector and / or RSA upgrade.

My later production Gen4 21 with all the current bits has been 100% reliable in the almost 2 years that I've owned it, running mostly cheap aluminum and steel cased factory ammo, so I can vouch for at least this Gen4.