Grandson's first shoot.

Picher

I took my 10 year-old grandson (and his father) to the range for the first time today. He was shooting his dads Marlin 880SQ (that I'd accurized) and he did extremely well. He shot standing, but resting the rifle on the sandbags and put the first shot dead-center on a 50 foot pistol target and put the next one beside it.

Then, he shot .22 metallic silhouette targets of various sizes at 35-50 yards and got most of them. Then, he shot my personal 10-22 Bull and knocked down everything without missing. Did the same with my Marlin 39A and 4x scope. That kid CAN SHOOT! Video games have started him off well.

Next, he shot the .243 Win Handi-Rifle, but didn't like the recoil. He decided he doesn't want to hunt deer this year. He'll do much better handling recoil and the relatively heavy rifle next year.

That makes three grandsons who like shooting. Only one more to go. The two granddaughters may not want to hunt, but they shot a pellet rifle pretty well.

I'm happy to pass on the marksmanship tradition. Take a kid shooting if you can.

stargazer65

Good post, glad to hear about the grandkids. I took two of my sons shooting this week as well. One of my daughters and another son will be going with me before the year is out as well.