Grandson in trouble at school...apparently my fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

starship

Took my 10 year old grandson to the range for the first time last week. No one there but us and an instructor with new girlfriend. Instructor had a small arsenal and was showing her how to shoot.

At one point he asked my grandson if he would like to try it. He was just watching and had never fired a gun before. Long story short, he learned the correct and safe way to handle a handgun. He got to fire an MP5 on full-auto and overall had a grand old time. I'm not sure what was bigger, that pile of brass or his eyes after firing that thing on auto. I'm not an instructor and too new to this to consider teaching him this, I really appreciated the help and interest Eric took. I sure enjoyed watching.

Fast forward to yesterday. Grandson went to school was given assignment to write about something that scared him and what happened. He wrote about the great time he had with Grandpa and learning about guns. Was scared at first, due to noise, but learned how they worked, why they made noise and had a great time.

Teacher took essay to principal, principal called his mom (my daughter) and had her come to school. Wouldn't give her the essay or let her read it (said he had to lock it up) but bascially told her what it said. He agreed it was well written and not aggressive in anyway. Said he was glad he enjoyed the day with Grandpa but school policy says even writing about guns was a no-no.

Daughter called Grandpa and suggested he get time-out for making her go to principal office (for first time in her life). She wasn't mad about taking son to the range but she was sure po'd she had to go see the principal.

So, lets see if I've got this right, the school has now made any and all info on guns taboo. Making the kids even more curious about them but not with adult supervision because they (the adults) will get after them for being interested. Gee, doesn't this sound like a great way for my grandson (or any kid) to learn about guns, safety, and responsibility. Bunch of dumb-a$$es if you ask me!

grumpycoconut

How about filing a 1983 lawsuit against the school for abridging the kid's first ammendment right to freedom of speech.

Where are you when we need you ACLU?!?

Dfariswheel

This is one of those cases where you need to be making waves.

Talk to the principle, talk to the principles boss, talk to the school board, and possibly talk to the press.
This needs to be stopped right there.

There's a whopping difference between taking gun related items to school and writing an paper on this.
This is a clear violation of the First Amendment.
There are people at the NRA who can help and possible in your state shooting association.

The good news is, these clowns usually run for cover as soon as you turn the spot lights on and start demanding answers.

Maromero

That's the result of the various tradegies regarding schools, students and guns. Let's not forget the sensationalist media too but that's another topic. Similar issues as when dealing with sex Ed.

jonnyc

As a teacher, I can see how this can happen, and I feel your pain. Lots of stupid, foolish, and ignorant people in public education. I would go in and ask to see the WRITTEN school and district policies the principal was referring to. Ask the teacher if she has mentioned or explained that policy to the students and/or parents. Ask how your grandson's response to the assignment in any way threatened anyone or put anyone in any kind of danger. Suggest that possibly the policy is over-broad and its application heavy-handed, and that it does more to suppress student creativity and education than protect anyone. If that building administrator can provide no answers or satisfaction, make an appointment with the superintendant. Be prepared to find a sympathetic school board member who might help with changing the policy, or training teachers and administrators to apply it intelligently.
Best of luck.

NavyLT

Daughter called Grandpa and suggested he get time-out for making her go to principal office

Did nobody else pick up on this part but me? :barf:

How about suggesting the principal take a time out.

It was neither you nor your grandson that caused her to have to go to the principal's office.

And how about this one:

Wouldn't give her the essay or let her read it (said he had to lock it up)

The principal has a concern over something a child writes, but won't share it with the parent?!?

Last edited by a moderator:

rjrivero

"My grandfather taught me personal responsibility, and I enjoyed it." I can see how that essay wouldn't fly in today's "education system." :rolleyes:

My daughter shoots, hunts and has spent time with me on the reloading bench. If she decides to write about ANY of these topics, and the school takes exception to it, then we take that essay to FOX NEWS. I'm a pain in the ass like that.

jersey_emt

I'm sorry to hear this happened.

I'm curious, where did this occur? No need to mention which school (or even which school district). I am just curious which county/region in which state did this happen.

Rangefinder

Not to put a tin-foil hat spin on things, but this type of propaganda BS has been troubling me for a while. Anyone else see something wrong with this kind of "guns are bad, guns are evil, gun people are bad..." social programming taking place with our kids? Because I'm finding serious issues with it. Don't get me started on all the other issues I find wrong with our pathetic education system...:mad:

imthegrumpyone

Teacher and Principal need to be "Timed Out" I would not let the dust settle on this, you need to make waves. Talk about ridiculous, just another "Nose" in your business and no accountability for educating kids like they suppose to be doing. :mad:

highvel

It's a terrible thing when anyone can tarnish a wonderful memory between a man and his grandson. I hope they dont ruin it for you or him!
I am glad I was raised when I was, because I dont want to see what it will be like in ten-twenty years.
Life is too short, and people are too long on stupidity.

drail

I almost feel that the most disturbing part of this story was the stance of the school principle refusing to let the parent read the story or have the thing and the idea that they've got to keep it locked up. ***? That goes a little beyond simple first ammendment violations. Public schools may well be the end of our pathetic civilization folks.

G'day starship. My view is that firearm safety should be treated the same as road safety, swimming or any other danger a child could be exposed to.

Make sure you let the kind instructor know what is happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

pier-rat

If you do go and talk to them, bring a lawyer. I know a lot about these people, and, they will sit there and say "Oh, Mr, Smith, we know what we are doing, you're just a dumb-ass old idiot. Just let us do our job." You need something to scare them.

CRUE CAB

No wonder parents are raising a bunch of hyperactive sissies now a days.
Best times of my life were at the range with my dad, out on the boat with my dad, roaming the woods with my dad, going to the stock car races with my dad.
And to think we could have been killed doing any one of those things.
But he taught me how to act like a man and not a sisified child. How to respect others and thier property.
Hey, he even let me sit on his lap and steer his old truck through the mountains of northern Virginia before we moved to Florida.
I guess that teacher and prinicpal would have like me to be taken away from my crazy parents and put up with some hippy tree huggers.
I would also like to add, that in my opinion, teaching a child what responcibilty is. Is a good way of steering them in a direction other that what the two scummers down the street from me were involved in. Drugs.
I certainly was not a perfect kid growing up, but I knew there was a limit. The limit was doing things that out right hurt my parents. Their feelings, their reputation and our familys good name.
Now many kids dont seem to care about much.

Last edited:

tango1niner

Grandson in trouble at school

Sounds like a job for "Eddie the Eagle". In this case educating the school officials about firearms might be appropriate. Perhaps they are a little "gun shy" because of recent events in schools. What it sounds like to me is typical and total ignorance which seems to be common among todays educators. This situation does sound alot like an infringement of free speech.
In any case this should be followed up on. I'm sure the NRA could suggest a course of action to take. Just my $.02
thanks
Anthony

CRUE CAB

Their heads probably would spin at the thought of the NRA being exposed to a child.
People like that have no place in education.
I do believe that I would have walked out of the "meeting" at the point that they said I could not view my childs work product from class.

N.H. Yankee

And this is why my grandson is HOME SCHOOLED! You can wear a shirt with satanic symbols on it, but you better not be caught with Jesus or god. I find the modern indoctrination AKA education system to be far left and with an agenda. I would be make waves, but do so in an aggressive but calm manner.

The so called education system uses intimidation to push their liberal agenda and brainwash students. We have a safe schools czar that a member of NAMBLA, with twisted beliefs, but you better not even mention god the bible or guns, being passive about this only empowers the corrupt.

Uncle Buck

Believe it or not, your tax dollars are funding that education system. As a taxpayer you have a right (I even want to say a duty) to go to the school board meetings.
Voice your concerns there. They will probably get printed in the paper. Demand answers in a very cordial way. You will probably get an answer such as "Studies have shown...", then ask for the studies.
Things like this have a way of sticking in my craw and lighting a fire under my butt. Every study has an opposite view and opposing opinions.
See if you can get a NRA youth course going for the kids. Have fun and irritate the crap out of them in a nice way.

DougP

starship- I agree with you about 1000% No time outs, just fun. mybe we should all start talking to the teachers and see if we could take the class out to the range. They would relly have fun then-- just maybe the teachers might also..... I don't think so -- but the kids would. :D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.