Grandpa's Remington 572

Sixer

My Grandfather recently gave me an old Remington 572 "fieldmaster" that has been in storage for years. He is not exactly sure how old it is, but he did tell me that this particular model was not that popular at the time. I think he told me it was one of the first "lightweight" rifle designs made from aluminum. It has a copper colored finish on all of the aluminum parts including the barrel. It is need of some good TLC, and that's what I intend to give it:)

I cannot, however, seem to find much info specific to this rifle. I would like to know just how old it is, how to take it apart, the best way to "restore" it (if possible) and just ANY info in general about this gun would be very helpful.

Like I said it is an early model 572. It is a pump action rifle that will shoot .22 S, L, and LR. The patent number is 2675638. It also came with no magazine so if anyone knows where I could find one...

Thank you for the help!

DSC02727.jpg

DSC02728-1.jpg

Scorch

The Remington 572 was introduced in 1955 and is still in production. Yours is probably not actually copper colored, more likely one of the "Buckslin Tan" models, made from 1958-1962. They came in black, blue, and tan. As far as refinishing it, you could GunKote the metal and refinish the wood.

To disassemble for cleaning, push out the two pins in the receiver and remove the trigger group.

Sixer

Thanks Scorch!

I also did a bit more research and found out how to identify the date. It doesnt have a serial # but the markings on the side of the barrel indicate it was produced in November of 1958. Pretty neat. I cant seem to find any guides for dissassembly though... Any additional info would be much appreciated:)