Grandpa's Old Savage model 220

Doug Lee

Hello All,
I am trying to tweek the forend stock on a single shot break action 12 gauge so the forend will stay up tight to the barrel, after it snaps in place it wants to hang down below the barrel about 1/4 to 3/8 inch. All the screws are holding as they should and are snug. I can't seem to figure it out. Any help would greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

birdshot

wrong screw?

The 220 forearm attaches with a screw into a lug on the barrel, correct? If the forearm is loose, maybe the screw is bottomed out. Just a WAG.

Doug Lee

Savage model 220 shotgun

The forend actually snaps in place, there is an s shaped spring attached to the forend that catches a lug on the underside of the barrel, then with additional pressure it snaps into place, no screws.

Last edited:

PetahW

It sounds like something's going on with the latch pivot.

I would remove the forend, which will give access to unscrew the forend iron from the wood, to see if anything's lodged or broken in there.

Scorch

Sounds like the S-shaped spring has been damaged or the pivot is loose. Take the metal off of the forearm and see if the pivot is attached to the forearm metal. If so, then the spring needs to be reshaped.

jaguarxk120

Scorch has it the forearm "S" spring has taken a set and needs to be re shaped.
Be careful when doing this as a little will go a long way.

Doug Lee

S spring adjustment

Thanks for the response guys, the s spring is firmly connected to the removeable plate screwed to the forend, so will I need to extend the spring or shorted it.

jaguarxk120

The spring will need to be extended. Be careful as it is just a very small amount. After you adjust the spring you will notice that the action is tighter.
The spring not only holds the forearm in place but also presses back on the forearm iron so the action will seem tighter on opening/closing.

Look at it this way -- it is a latch holding things together. almost like a spring latch holding a cupboard door closed.

Clark

Here is a pic of an old Sav 220 for end that came with an old Sav 219.

Attachments

• Sav 220 forend 12-6-2013.jpg
    Sav 220 forend 12-6-2013.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 44

Doug Lee

S spring adjustment

Hello All,
I think I understand now, I'll bend it back closer to it's original shape first thing tomorrow, are we only talking .005 to .010 thousands at a time then recheck the function?

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
It doesn't take much, but also check the barrel lug, or the notch in it, as it can get worn out, but adjusting the angle of the latch can take this up. From the photo posted, it looks to be case hardened, so the steel will most likely be soft underneath the skin.

If you find the notch in the barrel lug badly worn, you can stake the metal with a center punch, and expand it, so it will tighten up.

jaguarxk120

The photo that Clark posted is of a earlier fore arm spring. That spring is shaped like a banana or crescent. The later models had the "s" shaped spring, they both do the same job, hold the fore arm in place and keep the barrel to frame joint tight.

After you adjust the spring remember to put a film of grease on the barrel hook and the front of the action.

Doug Lee

Bending the S spring

Hello All,
Bending the S spring has tightened things up, and with some fresh grease, it's pretty smooth. Thanks for the help!