Grandfather's 16ga

littlefox

I inherited a Browning semiauto 16ga. How can I determine the model? It is belived to have been purchased in the 50's. Also, what is a sweet sixteen?

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Some 16 gauge A-5s were labeled Sweet 16, but the name is also generic.

And apt. The 16 gauge A5 is a very good upland shotgun, light enough to tote, effective enough to be well worth toting.

You have an A-5. While some folks wax lyrical about flat vs round knobs, long tangs etc, suffice it to say you've a very good shotgun that with care will delight your descendants.

Enjoy....

jrothWA

"Sweet Sixteen" was a..

trademarked name for the Browning A-5.
It is a lighter weight firearm than the standard weight 16 ga A-5, due to a alloy receiver. very collectable and parts are pain to obtain.
Is the barrel original or have a Cutts Compensator or Poly-choke on it?

Jeff Mulliken

The 16 ga. Auto-5 was introduced in 1909. In 1936 Browning introduced a lighter version of the 16 ga Auto-5 and called it the Sweet Sixteen. Starting in 1948 the words Sweet Sixteen were engraved on the left side of the reciever. The standard sixteen stayed in production till the early 60's, while the Sweet version was made right through the end of A5 production.

The weight reduction was accomplished through extensive extra machining inside the reciever, drilling lightening holes in the barrel ring and through use of a narrower rib on ribbed barrels.

The weight savings ranged a bit, depending on wood density. It was typically around 8 oz but could be as much as 10. In addition to weight loss the changes affected balance and the Sweets are very fast handling guns and a delight to shoot at fast moving game like wild quail or ruffed grouse.

Many people refer to thier standard 16 ga Auto-5's as Sweet Sixteens but they are not correct, it is a substantially different gun. The standard guns are great guns, but they are not as highly valued as the "Sweets".

Jeff

ps:

1) there is no such thing as a long tang A5, all of these guns had the same length tang.

2) until production resumed after WW2 all 16 ga Auto-5's were made with 2 9/16" chambers and will not cycle standard modern 2 3/4" shells. Some of the short chambered guns were modified to take the longer shells and it pays to know how to tell tham all apart if your looking at older Auto-5's.

Jeff Mulliken

To get back to the question that was asked, how do I tell what model it is.

There were only 2 common models of the Auto-5 in 16 ga. the Standard Sixteen and the Sweet Sixteen.

The most obvious way to tell them apart is the trigger. Sweet Sixteens had gold plated triggers, standards did not. And starting in 1948 all Sweet's had the name engraved on the left side of the reciever.

jrothwa, the Sweet sixteen did not have an alloy reciever and the parts are not hard to come by at all. All the internal parts are the seme as the Standard Sixteen, with the exception of the trigger which was drilled to lighten it on the "Sweets". I'm attaching a picture of a two A5 trigger plates, the bottom one is from a Sweet, note the hammer.

There is one uncommon 16 ga called the Superlight. It was made with an alloy reciever and trigger plate. They are very very rare.

Jeff

Attachments

• normal_Tang_thickness.jpg
    normal_Tang_thickness.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 64

huntemup

Give Browning a call

I called Browning a couple of years back and they sent me an owner’s manual for my sweet 16.

The nice Lady I spoke to offered to look up the history of my A-5...turns out it was one of 16,000 sweet 16's made in 1956.

My dad gave me the shotgun for quitting smoking years ago (about ’90-’91).

Mine does have a polychoke installed although I wish it didn't.

Does anyone know the approximate value of such a shotgun?

Lee

Jeff Mulliken

With a poly choke it will probably fall $500 and $700 unless the condition is extremely good.

There were actually 22,949 Sweet Sixteens made in 1956. The serial numbers for that years production ran from S-49351, entered into inventory 12/31/55 to S-72300 inventoried on 12/31/56.

The folks at Browning may be nice but the information the give out on A5's is absolutely horrid.

Jeff

keep that gun!

if its in good condition and was made in belgium that gun could be worth a good amount

Don't worry. I don't think he'd sell it if it was only worth $100.;)

Now, if he will only let me shoot that thing once....:)