Grand Power P1 Mk7

Cyanide971

Good afternoon gang, I wasn't intending on this being one of my first posts here but, want to go ahead and share this info with you all. Before I go into my rant about why I love this pistol, allow me to say that through the last 21 years I have either owned or currently own (and shoot extensively) a few different handguns, so my opinions aren't based off of comparing just 2 or 3 pistols.

For the record, my #1 pistol right now is practically a tie between my P-07 and Steyr C9-A1, though I'm old school and personally prefer a DA/SA hammer-fire pistol over striker-fire platforms.

(Sold)
•Beretta 92FS, 96D Centurion, (Stoeger) Cougar 8040F.
•Ruger KP95D, P95DPR, P95PR.
•S&W SW99 QA (.40)
•Taurus 24/7 G2 (9mm).
•Taurus Millennium G2 PT-111 (9mm).
•Walther PPQ M1 (both in 9mm and .40).

(Current, all 9mm)
•Steyr C9-A1, S9-A1.
•CZ 75 P-07 Duty and a new, 2014 P-07.
•CZ P-01 (currently on layaway).
•Grand Power P1 Mk7.
•Walther P99QA, P99 AS, P99C AS.
•Ruger SR9C.
•Tanfoglio Witness P (Small frame).
•Sarsilmaz K2P.
•Glock 26, Gen 4.
•Bersa Thunder 9 UC

Eventually I plan on adding a CZ 2075 RAMI and possibly, key word possibly, an M&P9 FS, M&P Shield, and Glock 19 as well, since have been pleased with their performance after renting them all multiple times. Hey, I simply love shooting! Anyway...

Anyone who has seen my posts on a couple of other forums that I frequent know that I am big on giving lots of pictures for comparison in my reviews. I figure it may be more helpful for a fellow shooter to be able to actually see how pistols size up against each other from different angles, especially if it is a model they are potentially interested in. And now with that being said, let's go...

Last edited:

Cyanide971

I present to you the Slovakian-made 9mm Grand Power P1 Mk7.
01baf8184ee2a66c2f64731f432819cb.jpg

Anyone familiar with the CZ Family of pistols will note the similarities of appearance, as well as operation with being capable of both DA/SA Carry with exception of disassembly (more on that later), though it is not a CZ clone (like Tanfoglio, Sarsilmaz, etc.).

•DA/SA, with "Cocked-and-Locked" capability (similar to CZ Family).
•15+1 capacity (2 mags included). *Note: CZ mags are not interchangeable but can be with a simple, minor modification.
•Completely ambidextrous operation & controls.
•Smooth, crisp trigger with virtually no take-up, very short travel, and extremely short, positive reset. Estimate between 7-8 lb DA pull and 4 lb SA pull.
•Positive, yet smooth safety.
•Drift-adjustable, snag-free, rounded rear sight.
•Four interchangeable palm swells/backstraps.
•Rotating barrel design.
•Polymer frame.

Notice anything peculiar about the bottom pic on this combo showing the safety?
6de716d2897939be3921167af2726de1.jpg

Took delivery of it the same morning as returning to work several weeks ago, and was only able to run 45 rounds through it since I had to high-tail it from home 370 miles away in order to make my scheduled pickup that afternoon. So straight out of the box, quickly to the range, and then to work.

Not bad for $393, especially after calling CAI concerning the barrel recall and discovering that the original buyer, who is part of the distribution network for Bud's Gun Shop, had already performed the recall's corrective action before releasing the pistol for sale NIB!

6555d1cc8e84caf2b60ffe25acc50720.jpg

9eva3uzu.jpg

First thirty rounds from 3 to 10 yards, with three shot lefty @ 5 yds lol...
mybu5y4e.jpg

Last fifteen rounds, all from 7 yards...
e2eju8yt.jpg

My initial reaction is it that is a very good buy, and after I get more time at the range to get it zeroed to point of aim (middle of black square) it will join the rotation of carry pistols alongside my CZ P-07, Steyr C9-A1, and Walther P99.

Last edited:

Cyanide971

Concerning the trigger pull I will say this, my initial personal opinion is that this is simply one of the finest stock triggers I have ever fired, regardless if DA or SA. The DA is extremely smooth and feels to be around 7 or 8 lbs max, and feels better than my P-07 or Walther P99 AS when either are shot/dry-fired DA. When DA is used from the half-cock position there is minimal take-up followed by very smooth travel to break.

SA is simply amazing. I love the CZ Omega trigger, but this trigger beats it hands down, eliminating the take-up that I experience on my P-07 and, with a shorter reset than either that, my Steyr, or PPQ/P99 AS (comparison vs my P-07 with pics coming).

Disassembly is definitely different, and is similar to how the Walther PPK is done. As always, safely clear the pistol and then, pull the top front of the trigger guard forward, down, and out from the frame. Grab the slide and rack it all the way back and then just a little more, lifting it from the frame rails. Remove the barrel from the slide and the recoil spring from the fixed polymer guide rod and that is it. Reassembling can be tricky if you don't get the slide lined back up properly, but it is easier to see it done than merely picturing it in your head.

9db5e3a1ae43ccca2c448a0efa5387d3.jpg

3c9a9c1bb02cb0fc2fb76f355979910a.jpg

9f17adf30329b5ce35f0a50116f793f0.jpg

aa6c31ee041a024a59643558936f49b0.jpg

9005bf1448130e3ddf9df5b7332d06f0.jpg

d5beaf115280e9cbba25a8b8db4eb013.jpg

Last edited:

Cyanide971

Here is an image showing the pistol with the smallest and then, the largest back straps in place demonstrating just how much size variance there is across the range of them.
7ugajede.jpg

Simplicity of removal...
pa8uty7e.jpg

...and replacement.
5enu5uve.jpg

No retaining pins to push out, just need something to pry the open base of the backstrap away from the heel of the grip and then pull out from the retaining grooves.

Then simply line up the top of the new backstrap and pull onto the grip, "locking" it in.

Last edited:

Cyanide971

CZ75 P-07 Duty vs Grand Power P1 Mk7

Let me preface this with this simple fact: I would be just as comfortable carrying either of these regardless of what I had to choose, in addition to any of my other pistols be it my Steyrs, Walthers, Ruger, Glock, CZ-clones, etc. As of right now though, the CZ has a slight edge for my choice, as I prefer it's shorter grip (and with 1 round higher capacity), the sights are easier to acquire (bigger, brighter dots), the magazine release is much easier to depress (I use the middle finger of my shooting hand), I can use CZ-75B mags if necessary (and those from associated clones), it just seems to balance better in my hand and finally, I have simply put many more rounds down range with it w/o any issues.

However, advantages to the Grand Power are an unbelievable trigger that puts the CZ's Omega Trigger to shame, complete ambidextrous controls, better fit for a variety of users through four separately sized palm swells, and an easier disassembly/reassembly .

Let's start with them side by side. You can see that both pistols are very similar in appearance, with the CZ having a slightly shorter grip, contributing to a shorter height.
bypuqepy.jpg

In these shots you'll see the differences in their respective widths and designs. Here the G.P. has the edge, having a similar profile like a traditional, slimmer CZ.
juba6u5u.jpg

Front and rear profiles.
unu6yny7.jpg

Now for the nitty gritty, TRIGGER PULL!
Single Action:
a5yqasa5.jpg

Double Action:
yge7yja9.jpg

Trigger travel measurements:
2uze9uzy.jpg

Last edited:

Cyanide971

The Grand Power fits my P-07 Winthrop IWB holster almost perfectly...ALMOST
ebemu5em.jpg

Concerning it's size, it is also similar to the PPQ/P99, C9-A1, Glock 19, etc. Compared to my old PPQ
tehujava.jpg

Y'all be safe, and keep shooting!

KyJim

Welcome to the forum. Very nice review and great pics!

One of the reasons I don't have a CZ is the length of the DA trigger pull -- I have small hands. How does the length of pull on the Grand Power compare when using the smallest grip backstrap? Thanks.

RX-79G

Kind of funny how new guns keep coming out without decockers. Maybe that's an American preoccupation?

Cyanide, would you mind posting pics of the inside of the slide? I'm curious who the barrel locks.

Pretty neat gun. I like how they use a cross pin to rotate the barrel.

Cyanide971

Thanks for the props!

KyJim, IMHO I have small hands also and carry at the half-cock position for the slightly shorter DA pull. Honestly, on both of them they are pretty close. I wouldn't let that stop you from getting either as they are both excellent firearms. As you can see from earlier pictures above, even with the largest palm swell backstrap I listed as #4 I can still reach the trigger from the full DA, hammer-down position, but dang if it doesn't remind me of handling an original Glock 21 or old Para Ordnance P-14! Hahahahahaha

RX-79G, as soon as I get the Grand Power back from "the babysitter" (I travel to Canada quite often) I will get pictures of that for you. That's one angle I completely neglected and offer my apologies for that.

I myself prefer a decocker, hence one small reason I love my P-07 and soon-to-have P-01.

Skans

Has anyone "torture-tested" a Grand Power yet? Sounds silly, but that's what I really want to see - how this gun holds up under a variety of extreme abuse situations. Why? Because I'd really like to replace my Glock 17 with the Grand Power.

Cyanide971

I haven't been able to find out what the requirements are for this testing or what other competing firearms were undergoing testing, but this is taken directly from the Grand Power website:

6214243136b35dabe70b9f9a8c384b93.jpg

a424cfcbda3612657174afd005794bdc.jpg

The short time that I have had mine has caused me to fall in love with it even though my CZ is my #1 EDC. If I could somehow get the safety reconfigured as a decocker, my CZ's might have a fight on their hands hahahahahaha.
[emoji2]

skizzums

awesome review, I will comsider getting one for sure, a little too big for carry IMO, but looks like a great house gun. I have never seen the feed ramp built into the frame before, its probably not the first, but the first I have seen.

gyvel

One of the reasons I don't have a CZ is the length of the DA trigger pull -- I have small hands.

KyJim, I, too, have small hands, but only your first shot is likely to be DA, and that is only necessary in case of a required snap shot. All your succeeding shots will be SA, and I have no problem with the CZ 75 trigger in SA.

skizzums

i have yet to get behind a 92, i have shot a decent amount of 1911's, but never owned one to take apart. do you have any info on what exactly the Slovak acceptance test entails? i'm so reluctant to get anything other than a cz or clone just because they are so freakin reliable. i have never had a misfire in a thousand rounds with a cz and thats even with my handloads. this gun looks like its built like a tank, please keep us updated on the long-term ownership. great review BTW, you def put some time into it, and we appreciate it

gyvel

Boy! Since their parting of the ways from the former Czechoslovakia, the Slovak Republic sure is carrying separatism to an extreme.

Cyanide971

Well, this sucks! I'm on my last 9 days of work and it doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to get back through Iowa to get my GP back before my time off. So my next range report may be on hold for awhile gang...
[emoji17]