Grampa won't take me shooting

Pahoo

At a recent Hunter safety class, one of our instructors at the M/L station, asked a teenage girl what she planned on hunting. She said that she was not planning on hunting anything. Somewhat puzzled I followed up with question of why she was taking the class? Her reply was that her Grandfather would not take her target shooting until she attended a hunter safety coarse and learned some safety skills. Now that really put some pressure and trust on what we do during our course. I complimented on the wisdom of her Grandfather and the faith they put on our program. She came to the right place. It was a very satisfying day and this girl was very sharp. To all you Fathers, Mothers and Grandparents who provide this support; A Big Hand-Salute !!! ....... :)

Be Safe !!!

5whiskey

Ehh... Nothing wrong with that but I wonder why Grandpa can't teach basic safety. I taught my girls how to shoot, including safety and respect. I Had to end a few sessions early when they were young because of safety violations (that was my rule in advance, starting with BB guns). Alas I have some safe girls and capable marksmen (women).

Again nothing wrong with it at all. Better hunter safety than no safety training. Maybe grandpa isn't a gun enthusiast to the point he is comfortable teaching...

Pahoo

Because "we" are that good ???!!!!

Nothing wrong with that but I wonder why Grandpa can't teach basic safety.
No reason to ask and perhaps related to a couple other situation where the courts mandated that some young kids attend our class. We were never informed who they were or why they were there. Can't catch them too soon and yet Eddie Eagle is not allowed in the classroom. All because as soon as you hear NRA they take an attitude. Most don't know that it was the NRa that started many of these classes. I had some old study manuals that had NRA printed on them and now omitted from the new manuals. ..... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

zoomie

I wonder why Grandpa can't teach basic safety
Or maybe kids listen to strangers better than their own (grand)parents! :rolleyes: I taught hundreds of kids to swim, but my own son listened to a Y teacher better, so that's who taught him.

FITASC

^^^^ Exactly; there's something about that third party credibility (ESPECIALLY for those of you thinking about teaching your better half).

Lohman446

I heard a saying once. A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client. Sometimes if we loose our professional standing out professional advise or instruction is devalued.

rickyrick

Good way to test her commitment to safety, to sign up for a hunting class for reasons other than checking the box tells me she's serious

5whiskey

? So no one here has taught their own kids/grandkids how to shoot? I get the point about third party instruction and it is valid, but for every example of a child that needed third party instruction there are examples of a child taught by a parent that performs equally as well.

There is nothing wrong with this young lady, nor her grandfathers decision. Again it is far better than someone haphazardly turning a kid loose with a gun with no previous safety instruction. I was just thinking out loud more than anything I guess.

Lohman446

? So no one here has taught their own kids/grandkids how to shoot? I get the point about third party instruction and it is valid, but for every example of a child that needed third party instruction there are examples of a child taught by a parent that performs equally as well.

Deciding who teaches a child safe gun handling practices is not a mutually exclusive decision where using one teacher means forgoing another.

45_auto

5whiskey said:
So no one here has taught their own kids/grandkids how to shoot?

I've taught every one of my kids and grandkids how to shoot.

Also taught my kids how to drive.

However, some people are smart enough to realize that they do not know EVERYTHING about a subject, and their kids/grandkids will benefit from being exposed to additional information and training in potentially dangerous activities.

I've been shooting almost 60 years, taken and given many shooting and safety classes, and STILL learn something new every time.

jcj54

taught

all my kids gun safety. My youngest was the most serious about learning to shoot and regularly outhoots me. He just got out of the Army (Infantry) and told me he felt unsafe around the fellow soldiers who learned gun safety and shooting in basic and AIT.

g.willikers

Knowing something and knowing how to teach it are not the same.
And there's no guarantee that the person trying to teach is actually in the know, either.
It's usually best to learn from a qualified instructor, (or at least someone who can pass for one), whatever the subject.
Most attempts I've seen at dads and uncles teaching shooting and driving were less than stellar.
More like the unknowing passing on more of the same.
(I cleaned that last part up with sensitive understatement :)).

Pahoo

Strangers listen better.

Or maybe kids listen to strangers better than their own (grand)parents! I taught hundreds of kids to swim, but my own son listened to a Y teacher better, so that's who taught him.
This is spot on and a very important point. When we start each session, I "profile" each student that walks up. In short time, I can tell which ones already have some home Firearm schooling/experience. There are times when we are teaching ethics or safe gun handling where we make a statement and a young student slowly turns and looks at his father. The father most always looks straight ahead. ...... ;)

Obviously I have taught my kids and Grandkids and when it comes time for them to get Hunter Safety, I get a bit nervous as they are too familiar and with my bunch, don't know what they may come up with. Strange kids pay better attention than mine. My kids will stand there, smiling until they get a reaction from me....... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

SIGSHR

Probably better to learn safety from someone with credentials and teaching skills, proper materials, perhaps with access to a training area. I don't know too many people whose parents taught them to drive. Also a proper hunter safety course would teach current laws much the same way a driver's course would require know ledge of the state's laws.

ssn vet

At age 13, I told my dad I wanted a shotgun and he replied that I had to take the Hunter's Safety Class first.

I did and two months later I unwrapped a break action Ithica 20 ga. under the Christmas tree.

TailGator

I taught my kids and some other kids to shoot. I also taught my kids and a couple of other kids, who wouldn't listen to their parents, to drive. Some kids learn better one way, some another. Some parents have teaching skills, some don't. And maybe Grampa wanted to be the good guy who did the fun part and didn't have to do the teaching and the inherent amount of discipline that comes with every teaching assignment. Do what works for the kid.

FITASC

It isn't about the teacher's teaching skills as it is about that person being able to modify their teaching skill to match the student's learning style. Some kids are visual, some auditory, some hands-on, some a little of this and a little of that. A good teacher figures that out and adapts to meet that need. Many knowledgeable parents are not able to do that with their own kids.

rickyrick

I have a respect for good teachers now.
For the last two years I've been an instructor in my chosen profession. I'm still learning how to do it. Delivery is important, almost secondary to the technical knowledge the person posses, however you still have to have the knowledge.