Graduation rifle for Daughter

hooligan1

All right before we go too far, let's just say something in a .243 win (because she loves her youth model Rossi) because she is proficient with her rifle but its a little small (short) for her! She will be deer hunting in long open pastures And some woodland strips with it. :) GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

huntinaz

I'm a big fan of the Winchester Model 70 myself...but there's a whole bunch of options as you know. Is it a surprise or could you take her to the shop and let her pick one out herself?

Bamashooter

I have a Handi-Rifle in .243 that shoots very near moa and could probably shoot under with better ammo. I use remigton cor-lokt and get just over 1'' groups. Not a very expensive rifle and a very good one. If you are looking for a reasonably priced bolt action I like the SPS by Remington and the T/C Venture. Both are good rifles at a good price.

oldcars

There are so many good options nowdays, I guess it all depends on what you want to spend? I think one of the best guns for the money is the Howa 1500 They are inexpenive and come with some good features like a hinged floorplate, adjustable trigger, etc. The one I had shot great! I also really like the Savage (or Stevens 200) and I have heard good things about the Marlin XS7. If you want to spend a little more, the Rugers and Winchersters are a classic Mauser-ish design. I have heard nothing bad about CZ's either.

Recoiljunky

I agree with taking her to a shop to pick one out that way you know it fits her. And these days it seems like it just come down to looks and fit the options are almost endless

Picher

A graduation gift means quality, but a woman probably should have a fairly light rifle. The .243 Win works best with a 24" barrel and doesn't bark as much at that length.

Try to find a rifle with a pretty wood stock, not a piece of plastic. A graduation present means never having to say you're cheap!

I'd look for something like:Winchester 70 Super Grade, Sako, TC Ikon, Rem 700 Stainless BDL, Deluxe Savage, or Browning. Be sure to get one with a good recoil pad or have it cut down to fit and add a Decelerator.

JP

603Country

I have a Ruger Compact (Mk II) in 260. Great rifle. I got it for my wife, but she decided that she didn't like hunting. So I use it from time to time. And...like I've mentioned in the forum previously, when my old Sako gets too heavy to drag to the stand during deer season, I'll probably start using the Ruger 260 exclusively. My dad took about the same approach when he hit 70-something. He parked the old Browning BAR in 308 and started carrying the Ruger Ultralight in 270 that we kids bought him.

hooligan1

Truthfully fellas she'll be happier with a real hunter, not a looker.:rolleyes: But she'll be tickled with whatever, is accurate and reasonably light. I thought maybe a new Savage with wood or synthetic, mainly in .243 winny. (she has killed deer with it and she has the utmost confidence in it's accuracy and deadliness). and most girls want a car!:D:eek:;)

Wyosmith

How about an AR-15 in 6.8 SPC?
With a 16" barrel and a standard free float tube they are very light, have super light recoil, kill deer very well (like a 257 Roberts) and are very accurate.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
If it's a length-of-pull problem, but the rifle is otherwise suitable, you can always add spacers and a thick butt-pad.

psycho nut

Youth model Rossis are very small, I don't think that a thicker butt pad would help a whole lot. Mine was okay when I was 13 but it got small quick.

I would agree with the people saying take her and let her choose, than you know she'll love it.

I would have loved that when I graduated. They'd only be a couple years late if they did it now even.:cool::D:rolleyes:

JSJ127

I agree with the others for graduation some piece of nice wood. Maybe a Browning A or X bolt micro hunter would be my suggestion.

M.O.A.

how about take her to the gun store and let her pick it out that way its hers and she gets the one she likes the most. just about any that she thing she'll pick well shoot good.

but i would pick a savage 11bth i just love the looks of this gun and if its a little long you can cut it down some