Grabbed the wrong ones

Qtiphky

I just recently found some small pistol primers and bought them only to find that they are Magnum pistol primers. I have standard loads for all of my pistols and was wondering how I can use these primers as I cannot return them? Is it ok to use magnum small pistol primers for these loads and do I need to reduce them because these are magnum primers?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Reduce to starting load (or 10% anyway) and work back up.

You aren't likely to be able to return them unless they're in an original, unopened package and even then it's unlikely.

Nathan

Option 2: Post your location and what you want and I'll bet someone on here would exchange with you. Another person on here and I are doing that exchange...

hbhobby

All of my loads i work up i use magnum primers(pistol and rifle). As long as you work up the load with these there is no problems

m&p45acp10+1

They should work just about the same. Diffance in my loads was too close to call as far as what the paper showed. None had any trace of pressure signs. I used small rifle primers for all of my pistol loads till this last craze at up the supply. I had to go to using standar small pistol primers, and they work just the same, at least by how I shoot.

judgecrater

I spoke to Federal regarding using mag vs standard large pistol primers. They said there would be no problem with pressure. They said the cups are a little harder so make sure your firearm strikes them hard enough to be reliable. As we now use what we can get, I have been using mags in place of regular primers without difficulty and see no problems with existing loads. I hope this gives you some info you can us.

Gster

I've done a lot of research on this subject and from what I've learned, yes you can use them. Just start low and work back up. I was getting ready to go that route when primers stated showing up at my lgs. I have no trouble finding small pistol primers now. I have well over a thousand and more where they came from. I wouldn't hesitate to use small mag. primers if the need arises though.