GP100/SP101 Barrel Length Recommendations

insane_irish

Hey all, I'm looking to get my first handguns soon, and I am definitely getting revolvers. My plan is to get at Ruger GP100 first for learning/training purposes as well as a house gun. Once I am ready to start carrying I plan to eventually get both a SP101 & an SW Airweight/Airlight, but won't be able to get both at the same time.

Once I have all three revolvers, they will be utilized as follows:
GP100 - Housegun, Training, possibly carried OWB when dress permits
SP101 - primary carry gun when untucked attire is allowable, carried IWB & possibly in coat pockets when dress permits
SW Airweight/Airlight - primary carry gun at work/when tucked attire is required, possible BUG to SP101, pocket carry

So, here are my questions:
1) What length should I get my GP100 & SP101 in?
-GP100 = 3" & SP101 = 2.25"
-GP100 = 3" & SP101 = 3.125"
-GP100 = 4" & SP101 = 2.25"
-GP100 = 4" & SP101 = 3.125"
2) I know I will get the GP100 first, but what order should I get the SP101 & SW in? I am leaning towards getting the SW first since the largest percentage of my carry time will likely be at work which requires tucked attire and thus pocket carry will be most likely. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited:

zoomie

4" GP100 and 2" SP101

4" GP100 and 2" SP101.

The 4" GP100 balances the best and it's long enough to properly utilize the round.

The 2" SP101 is a tad lighter, and there are MANY more holsters available than for the 3". I had a 3" and had a heckuva time finding a holster. Both the 2" and 3" are a handful with full power rounds - the 3" maybe a little easier on your hands.

Shadi Khalil

Zoomie knows what he's talkin bout.

Man your gonna love those rugers, very wise choice in a first hand gun, taking Zooms adivce would make it even wiser. They are built really and have great trigger pull and balance.

chris in va

I'm wearing a 3" SP right now. Frankly the gun is quite large for CC and I would highly recommend the 2.25" for that purpose. On a whim I put it up next to my Sig 220 and found it to be the same size!

GP100...whatever strikes your fancy as it's a range gun.

akr

I got the 6" and am very happy with it, because of the reduced recoil, etc. The longer, heavier bbl. is raunchy enough when you shoot it....don't need it to be shorter. Don't forget earplugs AND ear muffs for eardrum protection.:)

insane_irish

4" GP100 and 2" SP101.

The 4" GP100 balances the best and it's long enough to properly utilize the round.

The 2" SP101 is a tad lighter, and there are MANY more holsters available than for the 3". I had a 3" and had a heckuva time finding a holster. Both the 2" and 3" are a handful with full power rounds - the 3" maybe a little easier on your hands.

I guess that is a logical option as well, I'll add it to my OP.

Even though the GP100 will primarily be a house & range gun, one of my concerns with the 4" barrel is if it realistically makes it too long for concealed OWB carry.

I have also read the occasional report that the 2.25" SP101 can be "flippy" in a IWB holster due to not having enough barrel bellow the belt line to hold it in place. Any thoughts on this phenomna?

ronto

GP100 4" for HD (although a 12ga pump would be be the best).
SP101 2 1/4" DAO (spurless) for CCW (I carry it in a Mika pocket holster daily, while driving, in a concealed holster in my truck).
Forget about light weight 357's unless you enjoy pain because you won't practice with it much.

Sarge

4" GP100 and 2" SP101.

I'm with zoomie and my experience is pretty much identical. I don't find full-snort .357's uncomfortable in the 2" SP, but then again I have shot quite a few hot 300's through various 4 & 6 in .44 mags, so YMMV.

My only further suggestion is to get them both in the same finish and with fixed sights.

BlkHawk73

For the GP model, I prefer the 6" bbl myself. Balances better for me and I prefer longer bbls anyways.
For the SP model, I have had a 2 1/4" model for years now and really lke it. It's not as bad as ppl say when using .357 loads. Heck, even the snappy little 125gr loads aren't too bad. Mine is carried in a Mitch Rosen "Workman". and dissapears.

Bottom line...choose the models that feel best to YOU. Whichever feels best in YOUR hand is the one(s) to go with.

insane_irish

although a 12ga pump would be be the best

already got one of those.

Forget about light weight 357's unless you enjoy pain because you won't practice with it much.

I'll likely carry .38 LSWHP +P anyways, so the Airweight (.38 +P only) would meet my needs for easy pocket carry.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys, keep them coming.

akr

If I were to carry, it would be one of my XD service pistols, and I got my 6" GP100 for range and hunting. I was too chicken to get a shorter bbl. I wouldn't shoot a .357 off in the house, for sure, so I use my CZ 75B for HD.

Old John

3" GP100 and 21/4" SP101

I have the 3"GP100 in a Sourdough Pancake holster from Simply Rugged,
on my belt, now. When I leave the Place, I wear it in a Galco high-ride pancake holster.
I wear it around the house, for woods-walking, and somtimes up to the city.
Otherwise I wear the 21/4" Sp101 in a smaller Galco High-ride Pancake holster or a an Uncle Mike's super belt slide holster.

DSW has another 21/4" SP101, that she wears around the place, in an
Uncle Mike's paddle holster.

I have a bunch of Single-action Rugers, for Cowboy shooting too.

Elvishead

GP100 - House gun, Training, possibly carried OWB when dress permits

First if I had only those choices, I'd go 4" GP100, and 3" Sp101 without any question.

-GP100 = 4" & SP101 = 3.125"

But since you getting the S&W snub, I think you should get the GP100 in 6".

The reason I say that is, I have a 4" .357 and the 3" .357 and a 2" .357, and I wish I would have bought a 6" instead of 4".

If you didn't get the SP101 3", I'd say the the GP100 in 4". But to me, for the range and home, longer is better IMHO. Hell, maybe even 8":D

KFDiesel

My vote is 4 in GP, 2 1/2 SP if your goiing to carry it. As far as the airlight S&W I have 2 Ti's which shoot .38 spl. They really pound you and are loud as hell. I dont think Id like one in .357. (I love big bored handguns so Im not afraid of recoil) Just uncomfortable to shoot. I can hit with it and it is lightweight (very). Not a bad choice since you prob will never have to use it anyway and if you do you prob wont hear or feel anything due to adreneline. I just like shooting what I own and I dont shoot it much because its notfun. This is also not good to carrya gun you dont shoot often. Hope it helps
Kirk

? revolver

You've made some great choices in revolvers.

GP-100 4" great balance, a fantastic combat revolver.

SP-101 3" I would choose the 3". The SP in either barrel length is not a pocket gun due to it's weight, it would be very concealable and comfortable in a IWB holster, also, the 3" barrel would be negligible in size but offer slightly better ballistics, better balance and control with hotter ammo, and longer sight radius making it easier to shoot accurately.

S&W 2" A 2" airweight, the ideal pocket gun, light and compact, it can go anywhere

Wizard1500

I'm new to this forum, but not to handguns. I have a GP100 in 4" for fun (I really like that gun). For the time I used to carry, I have a SP101 in 2 1/4". The SP in that length is one of the easiest to carry I've ever seen. I have no experience with S&W's because Ruger wheel guns have always served me well. BTW: I agree witht he 12ga double for HD...357 mag is not a round I want to shoot in the house.