GP100 loose screw?

Mastrogiacomo

Has anyone experienced this with their gun. I'm looking at my GP and just by the cylinder release, I see a long screw protruding out from the slide. Normally these guns are supposed to be built like tanks but this is new. I don't have this issue with my SP.

JohnKSa

Administrator
It's a little unusual for that screw to loosen on its own. I've removed the cylinder release on one of my GP100s and it took some effort to get that screw out.

I agree, screw it back in tight and keep an eye on it. If it loosens again, it's time for threadlocker.

Mastrogiacomo

I've never had this problem with my Smiths. Why and how does the screw become loose? Is this a quality control issue or did I just get lucky?

JohnKSa

Administrator
I don't know if I'd call it a QC issue. If you can fix it by screwing it back in, I wouldn't worry about it much. You can find similar incidents (screws or other threaded parts loosening, pins walking out, etc.) occurring with nearly any brand out there.

44 AMP

Staff
Unless there is some physical defect in the hole, or the screw, its not a QC issue.

Screws get loose, unless there is something specific to stop them (Loctite, set screws, lock washers etc.). Apparently vibration in the metal when the gun is used causes it.

Action screws, grip screws, sight screws, sideplate screws, if it can screw in, it can screw out.

Checking screws should always be part of good pre-use checks, or part of the final checks for storage.

Most stay tight just fine, if one won't Loctite of some kind usually cures the problem. And some screws are just ...odd. Tight every time you check them for years, and then, one day, you check, and ..hey, this one's not snug...

Check ALL the screws on your revolver, once in a while. IF you never find a one that has loosened up, great. If you do, you'll be glad you did.

44 AMP

Staff
its minor, unless you don't know it's happening and the screw falls out before you realize something is going on. Then its a problem.

Checking once in a while is what keeps it minor. And a screwdriver isn't the only tool, eye, and touch can sometimes tell you "hmm something doesn't seem right" as well.

codefour

I would not recommend Loc-Tite type adhesives to secure that screw. I would use clear nail polish acrylic. You may want to get that screw out at a later date..

44 AMP

Staff
A point on Loc-tite. Loc-tite makes products for about all possible applications. Many different types and grades. All the way from "stays put reasonably and comes out easy" to "this sucker ain't never moving again!".

The product I will recommend is called "Gun-tite", and it is the sealant made to hold, and still be removed without undue force with the proper tool (screwdriver).

Nail polish, lacquer, model paint, even sugar/water can be used to hold screws in place. You just need to know what the proper application is.

Using the WRONG threadlocker is a problem all its own. Do a bit of research so you don't turn a temporary issue into a permanent problem.

James K

Member In Memoriam
It sounds like the crane latch pivot. Good thing you caught it; had it fallen out, the latch would probably have fallen out and been lost and the gun would be tricky to open as well as having to be sent back to Ruger to have the latch installed and fitted.

Jim

GP100man

2 things coulda happened it never was secured from the factory or someone removed it & didn't secure it .

It should be peened or loc tited from the factory or both.

Are there signs of tampering ??? or previous removal ???

Gun tite is the way to go .

GP

Dragline45

Put some blue Loctite on it and it should be fine. Do NOT put red loctite, it requires you to heat up the screw before unscrewing it, and even then it's a PIA to get out.

I would not recommend Loc-Tite type adhesives to secure that screw.

Gun companies themselves use Loctite, it's perfectly fine give you use the correct strength.