GP100 Dis-assembly

Uncle Buck

I have read about and watched several videos of the GP100 being disassembled for cleaning and they all show the trigger mechanism being removed in order to release the cylinder.

I do not want to take the trigger assembly off of my revolver in order to remove the cylinder, unless I absolutely have to. Is there a way to do this? What am I missing?

ZEBRARANGER

The only way that I know of is to remove the trigger assembly through the bottom. This will allow the cylinder to pull out through the front. I know on the Security Sixes you can unscrew the ejector rod in reverse, but its not the same on the GP100.

boa2

You aren't missing anything. You have to drop out the trigger assembly to remove the cylinder/yoke as a unit on all Ruger double action revolvers. This includes the older Security/Service/Speed-Six revolvers. For cylinder cleaning, just do this on the gun without removing the cylinder. ZEBRARANGER is correct that the removal of the cylinder from the yoke, is different between the Six Series revolvers and the GP100.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Thanks guys, I am always afraid of buggering up a screw or loosing parts when I do this type of disassembly. Guess it'll just be a regular cleaning for now. :)

GP100man

Trigger group removal

UB

when ya get ready send me 10 bucks (dollars)& this tool will make it easier, safer & less chance of losing parts .

When pulling the TG out DO NOT pull the trigger to the rear parts will come off (cyl latch & hand , transfer bar ) then springs & plungers will launch .

Much better to do this under a more controlled circumstance & in a gallon ziploc bag, work on trigger group that is !!

PS : I`m having ISP problems & get on where & when I can for a few days !!!

Popper-1.jpg

Uncle Buck

You know, I think I have an old screw driver/pry in one of the tool boxes out in the garage. I am going to have to look for it, if I ever decide to disassemble it like the manual says.

Thanks for the picture. Hope you get your ISP problems worked out soon.

Don P

Thanks guys, I am always afraid of buggering up a screw or loosing parts when I do this type of disassembly. Guess it'll just be a regular cleaning for now

Sounds like someone is in need of a set of hollow ground screwdrivers