GP100 cylinder turn with hammer forward?

zoomie

I was at the range today with my Dad's 4" GP100. I noticed that the cylinder turns clockwise (as viewed from the rear by the shooter) with the hammer forward. It will not rotate counterclockwise. With the hammer cocked, it's locked up correctly and will not rotate either direction.

So...Is that normal? :confused::cool:

I thought it was supposed to be locked up with the hammer forward and back. If it's normal, I've never noticed it before. We shot a few boxes today in DA and SA with no malfunctions.

Homerboy

Does it only turn until it locks into the next cylinder, or can you spin it freely? If you close the cylinder, and the cylinder stop isn't locked in you can turn it to the next one until it does.

My GP or any other revolver I have has never had your problem.

zoomie

Does it only turn until it locks into the next cylinder, or can you spin it freely? If you close the cylinder, and the cylinder stop isn't locked in you can turn it to the next one until it does.
I know what you're referring to, but no, it's unfortunately not that. But it's also not "freely." (Disclaimer: I'll try to explain this but I don't know all the proper part names. :eek: ) The "plunger" that locks into the cylinder recesses from the frame above the trigger appears to be rounded on the right side. That way, when you turn the cylinder clockwise, it is forced downward, out of the cylinder "grooves," allowing the cylinder to turn. So it takes a very little bit of pressure to turn the cylinder, and then the plunger will drop into the next groove, but then with a very minimal amount of pressure the plunger is forced downward, and the cylinder rotates again.

My GP or any other revolver I have has never had your problem.

It's new to me, too. I guess we'll be calling Ruger tomorrow.

GP100man

fast da shootin

the cyl latch is worn to the point that it won`t hold the cyl any longer .
are the notches beat up also on the cyl ??, if so a trip to ruger is warranted .
if not you can get a cyl latch & replace it yourself ,or a competent gs.

while "flippin " a cyl closed is ruff on a revolver fast da shootin on a revolver & the bigger & heavier the cyl. such as rugers the faster these parts show wear .

i would refrain from shootin this gp until this problem is resolved as timing of the cyl is critical not only accuracy but safety also!!

James K

Member In Memoriam
The cylinder should NOT rotate in either direction with the hammer down. Period.

The gun may need only a good cleaning (spray can - do not take the gun apart) or lubrication (a few drops of oil ahead of the trigger). If that doesn't work, time for a trip to a gunsmith or a return to Ruger.

Jim

zoomie

Thanks gentlemen. The cylinder looks to be in fine shape. I field-stripped the gun to make sure nothing was blocking the cylinder latch from its full range of motion - nothing was. Actually the trigger group was still pretty clean even after a few boxes today.

I don't think I want to try to replace it myself. It looks to be only a pin and a spring, but I know the trigger group has several small springs and I don't feel like chasing those all over the room. :rolleyes: We've got a good smith here that we'll take it to if Ruger won't take care of it.

Thanks again.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Ruger will take care of it, but you should be sure to find out what they think caused the problem. That is not a common failure in the Ruger DA revolvers.