Gp100 caliber conversion

onlybrowning

I have read that the GP100 frame works well with a 5 shot cylinder of .44 special or maybe .41 magnum. Just wondering where, and how much to get it converted? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Jim Watson

Dave Clements has done it, says "P.O.R." but I also note that for a five shot Redhawk .454, he charges $1995.
http://www.clementscustomguns.com/handguns/ruger.htm

Hamilton Bowen could do it; he says most of the mods he lists for Redhawks are available for GPs, but his five shot caliber conversions are over $2000.

John Gallagher of Jasper, Alabama probably could, but I don't know if he works on double actions.

T. O'Heir

The Super Redhawk has the same grip as the GP. Go with one of them and load .44 mag brass to .44 Special velocities. It's far bigger than a GP though. You may want to consider a Redhawk instead.

Jim Watson

If I wanted a .44 Special I would look for one of the S&W 1980s M24s or just get a .44 Magnum Mountain Gun and load light.

I think the Original Redhawk is a good revolver but have heard that its single spring action is harder to tune up than a GP or Super Redhawk. One of the custom Rugersmiths is cutting the front frame extension off of Super Redhawks and installing Original Redhawk barrels, making them look like a big GP. Not cheaply, of course.