GP100 4" .357 holster? taking care of it?

XDforever

I picked up a GP 100 4" blue .357 yesterday. I have never had a big revolver before and have never had a blue revolver either. So I have 2 questions......

1. What holsters do you guys have for these big boys? Who makes 'em? IWB or OWB?

2. What will be different in caring for a blued revolver versus a SS one?

Joe

nc-oldfart

Personaly I like to take any firearm I buy bluse or SS as if its has any magnetic quanity to it and coat heavily G96 clp or Pro-Shot One Step and heat it. Use to be breakfree clp but its not as good as it once was. Lay it in aluminum foil, add heat. Light bulbs , sun lamps, brit sunny day with a mirror to reflect the sun. heat to around 200* for a few hours let sit till cool and wipe excess off. Then treat is you would any firearm. Little wipe down once in a while.

Holsters. Check out Mernickel holsters, Classy rigs , basic or fancey
http://www.mernickleholsters.com/bm_perf.html

check with Kirkpatrick & Simply Rugged -cuda

Might contact Garrett Holster too. They make some interesting leather lined kydex holsters.

tomrkba

1) Milt Sparks Versa Max 2

The real problem are the grips. They are far too long and the rubber causes printing. Buy more compact wood grips.

2) Same as any other gun. The finish will wear as you train with it.

Modified Milt Sparks VM2
photo-28.jpg

Hammerhead

I'm not a CCW guy, so I like the Galco OWB with the Ruger logo embossed from Ruger's website. I dunno, I just like the logo.
I wipe down blued guns with FP-10 after cleaning.

Viper225

I have a Rocky Hill Leather Pancake for my 3 Inch. AND several other revolvers I own.
I am down to a couple Blued Revolvers now days.
Stay on top of cleaning them.
Keep well oiled.
Do not store in a leather holster.

Bob

Real Gun

The real problem are the grips. They are far too long and the rubber causes printing. Buy more compact wood grips.

I find the length deceiving. The point at the rear is actually near the same plane as the bore. When actually gripping the gun, there is no real excess grip beyond my glove size SM hands.

There is the sharp rear corner though, which could be rounded slightly but not too much. It supports the heel of the hand. The real length would still the same.

The Hogue Tamer has more of a rounded back end but is effectively the same length as the stock grip.

When comparing two GP100s side by side, one with an Eagle Grip and one with the stock rubber, the lengths are essentially the same.

wogpotter

Going to start something here probably.
I used to use leather & it started to quickly wear the blue finish on the cylinder front & muzzle.

Nowadays I like synthetic (woven fabric type nylon or similar, not the hard plastic shell type) holsters for blued finish guns. I don't mean the rubbish $10:0 types, but the quality ones.

As soon as I get one I spray the inside with a silicone/waterproofing kiwi treatment to slick it up internally. I've been taking my blued gun on hunting & fishing/camping trips for years this way & its hardly touched the blue & it waterproofs the fabric & any padding foam.

rclark

I clean my SS same as blued. No different. The air is dry up here, so I don't bother with a wipe down of oil, or some other preservative. Just keep 'em clean when stored.

Can't help you with a holster (other than I use Simply Rugged) as I don't have the small GP-100 revolver.

XDforever

I went to Shoot Smart in Grand Prairie today to shoot the new GP100. I took a box of 130 grain WWB .38 and a box of 158 grain Herters +p .38. I would have shot some .357, but have not been able to find any locally. I'm guessing I will be ordering online soon.

Anyways, I shot the same 130 grain .38 out of my J frame 642 and decided that that was the most I would EVER want to shoot from it. Using the same ammo in the GP100, it was like shooting a .22. The recoil was almost nonexistent. I then put in the 158 grain rounds and shot them. The lack of recoil was great. It was like shooting 125 grain 9mm out of my XDm. I am loving this pistol.

The only issue I had was with the sights.......black rear sights with a black front site makes for an almost nonexistent sight picture. I need to get some sort of different color paint to put on the front site so I can definitely see where I am aiming. The range was an indoor one and it was kind of dark there. I had to run my target back to me after each reload so I could see where I hit.

Still, it was a good way to spend an hour or so today.

Joe

GP100man

My preference for the 4"GPs is a paddle holster with my belt on the outside of it to keep it tucked up tite.

6" full lug demands a reinforced belt & a good lined holster, preferably a Bianchi BH5.

But holsters are kinda like grips , what ya like ,ya use.

Been shootin GPs since my first 1 in fall of `85 & love em !

I use that polymer treatment on my blue firearms , sheds water, sweat, no finger prints & they don`t sweat in the summer going from hot truck to cool house or vise versa.

Congratulations !!

Micahweeks

I have a few blued guns, one being a blued 4" GP100. If I think it needs it (not very often) I'll wipe it down with a little CLP, but that happens rarely. Mostly, I just give the bore and chambers the standard care and keep the frame wiped down and dry. I take it out of the holster when I put it away in the gun safe and throw the holster in my holster drawer. Maybe I'm lucky, but I've never had one of my blue guns start losing the finish. I guess if I carried one regularly out in the elements I would do more, but as it is I have needed to do much with it.

My blued GP100 does have a few spots in the finish that have been there since I got it. I'm not really sure what they are. They aren't rust/pits. They just look like little rings. There's only 3 of them on one spot, and they are pretty small. They don't seem to affect anything negatively, though, and I plan to eventually have this gun refinished anyway, so I've decided to just leave them alone.