GP 100 sight problem

fairview mick

I have a 3" gp100(non adj sights) that shoots about 2 1/2 inches low at 30 feet. A great group, but low. I tried .38 ammo medium .357's and hot .357's. All in the same spot.I did this from a rest, so I know it's the sight picture on the gun. I wonder if there are different dimension front sight available for the gun. Any one know about this?
Mickey

Sarge

Yes. Call Ruger and tell them what your problem is. You will probably need to take a micrometer and measure how tall your current front sight stands above the rib, to provide them with a point of reference.

In your shoes though, I would just take a file and a bottle of cold blue to the range, and file a VERY little off the top of the front sight, taking great care to keep it perfectly square. Shoot and confirm zero, and then file again if necessary.

Here's an article I wrote a couple of years ago on sorting out a 3" GP-100 that needed regulation in both directions, as well as having some other problems. Please note that bullet weight can have a noticable effect on where your bullets strike, in the elevation axis. If you are shooting 110-125 grain bullets in that gun, switching to 158's will probably raise your POI enough to correct the problem. If you are already shooting 158's however, a shorter front sight will probably be necessary.

Congratulations on a fine sixgun- I love fixed-sight revolvers, and the GP is one of the best.

Tim Whittaker

My fixed sight GP did the same thing, I took a file to the front sight and filing a small amount at a time until I got the group where I wanted it. Go slow and you shouldn't have a problem. Then I touched up the sight with a blueing pen.

fairview mick

Thanks to the the responders

Thanks very much for the very informative threads. I'll do exactly as written.
Merry Christmas and a safe new year. Perhaps my bike will run 200 mph in 1/4 mile in 2007!!!!!
Mickey

inkie

The two previous posters got it right! I would like to add this little trick. Take the gun to the range apply a line of whiteout on the front sight slightly below the top. Use that as your aiming point fire a few rounds, keep changing the line until you are shooting to point of aim. Than take it down to the proper line with a file or a dremel. Worked well for me.