Gp 100 Full underlug or not

458winshooter

Its very simple, what do you prefer?Should I go for the full or partial underlug?It will be mostly a woods gun and plinker.And it will see alot of heavy,full power loads.Thanks, Russ.

mega twin

I have a 4 in. full lug,and find it to be a very handy revolver.
The lug adds a smidgen more weight forward,and helps with sight recovery for me.

GP100man

heavy barrels

full lugs are desirable for heavy loads ,but for general woods bummin ,campin & sd the lug will only add weight .
to say the least i`ve opted for full lugs on all my gps except the one a 6" half lug which balances good to my hand. the 4" full lug balances `bout the same & with a good belt & holster combo can be comfortable to carry around the farm all day.
my favorite to shoot though is the full lug 6" 3gr red dot under a wad cutter is like shootin a 22.
this is the gp i use for huntin because i shoot it the most & to have a legal barrel lenght.
one last word on all gp models , compared to other makes the gps will be heavier in any configeration ,but the trade off is durability ,longevity,& recoil reduction.
when i get older than i am now i may opt for a liter ,shot way less sp101 LOL!!

GP100man:cool:

Jerry11826

I have the full lug on my 6". Wish I had gotten the 1/2 lug - the pistol feels nose heavy to me - even with a two handed hold in a PPC match and especially shooting one handed, like the bullseye match.

Again - wish I had gotten the 1/2 lug, because otherwise is a great revolver.

Keep 'em in the X- ring,

Jerry

rantingredneck

I have two 4" full lug GP's. I like them just fine, but if I were buying a 6" I'd go for the half lug for the reasons mentioned already above.

gwnorth

Have you found any good used half-lug ones around? They are getting pretty scarce it seems to me. It's been at least a year since I've seen any in the gun stores in my part of the world. I wish Ruger would start making them again.

bigghoss

I like the full underlug but I wish they'd make the ejector rod longer to ensure the cases clear the cylinder. since they got room for it in the underlug.

Teuthis

I have a six inch barrel GP100 with full underlug. The gun is well balanced and I cannot see any issue with it. When someone who purports to be a woodsman has difficulty with a few ounces of steel on the barrel of a revolver, I think some weightlifting may be in order.

Since the revolver is for shooting, and the lug provides some weight against barrel rise, and can provide a quicker second shot, I think it is an excellent idea.

gwnorth

The 4" was at one point as well. But they stopped making the 4" half-underlug before they stopped making the 6". Last spring or summer, I remember seeing new (although obviously old distributer stock) half-lug 6" stainless and even one or two blued - they even had the newer stock hogue grips. Whatever past unsold new stock those were from seems to have dried up :(

CarbineCaleb

Personal taste of course. A full lug gun is just a smidge heavier on the belt, but the forward location of that weight is the best possible place for it to be, to limit muzzle rise. As a result you get more comfortable shooting and better controlled followup shots. I prefer them for this reason, but again, it's personal taste.