Gotta Love A Big Bore Snubby...

mk70ss

This one came today from GB. A Taurus 431 .44 Special. Really nice gun. Blueing is excellent, locks up tight, and trigger is great in both DA/SA. This will be a great trail gun.

Siggy-06

Nice find on the older Taurus. My lgs had an old stainless .44 Rossi snubby in the case for a week. If I stocked .44, I would have been all over it.

jglsprings

Yep, I do too... these are Tauri (Tauruses?) as well... had them for years.

4531343656_6ebe57de38_z.jpg

Last edited:

Sarge

I've known half a dozen people who, at one time or another, owned a 44 Special Taurus and I never heard a complaint from any of them. I do believe the company put a little more effort into those.

Nice revolvers, guys.

tex45acp

I've been a big fan of the Taurus guns for a while. I have several but one of my favorites, in my favorite caliber for revolvers (41mag) is this stainless 415. The grips aren't pretty but they sure soak up the recoil of that hot round. I performed a trigger jog to smooth things out and de-horned the gun for carry. I've put close to 1,000 rounds through it without any problems.
HPIM2214.jpg

gwpercle

I've been a big fan of the Taurus guns for a while. I have several but one of my favorites, in my favorite caliber for revolvers (41mag) is this stainless 415. The grips aren't pretty but they sure soak up the recoil of that hot round. I performed a trigger jog to smooth things out and de-horned the gun for carry. I've put close to 1,000 rounds through it without any problems.
HPIM2214.jpg
Sweet ! 41 Magnum was what I wanted ...but
the Dealer couldn't get me a 415 ... He did score me a 455 in 45 acp !
My second choice .
Always have had a fondness for the 41 Magnum ... Nice Score !
Gary

jetinteriorguy

HPIM2214.jpg
Being a .41 mag guy if I ever see one of these I’ll have to snag it.

highpower3006

Nice gat you got there. I've had a couple of Taurus handguns in the past (although they were autos) and don't have a bad thing to say about them.

Having shot a friends short barreled .44 a few years back, I decided that while I liked the idea of a short barreled big bore, the actual use of one was something I didn't like as much as the recoil makes my ever encroaching arthritis in my wrists and hands ache for hours afterward.

I guess the closest I can get is my 4" M29 Smith and even though I don't shoot full house magnums through it anymore, it still makes my wrists ache. Although it beats the alternative, getting old sucks!

dgludwig

one of my favorites, in my favorite caliber for revolvers (41mag) is this stainless 415. The grips aren't pretty but they sure soak up the recoil of that hot round.

I have one too and I was pleasantly surprised at how controllable it is in terms of perceived recoil. The all steel chassis, the 2 1/2" barrel (as opposed to the more typical 2" snub-nose revolver), the ported barrel and those unique, if ugly, ribbed grips, all contribute to making the Model 415 relatively easy to shoot. Taurus also made an alloy (titanium?) lighter weight version of this revolver which likely made it a little harder to shoot as well.

smee78

I enjoy the small big bore guns and have a few. My favorite is my S&W (M25) 45LC that at some point in its life went to Mag-na-port for some custom work. It was cut down and hard chromed and is a smooth shooter and a favorite of mine wit Ahrends grips. I also enjoy a Rossi (720) and S&W (296) 44spl, they are a hoot to shoot. Congrats on the new addition you picked up.

wild cat mccane

The Taurus "ribber" grips are a thing of beauty for function and an engineering feat of of ugliness. :)

I have a water hose nozzle with a similar handle. Always think of my previous ribber grips when I pick it up. :)

But do they work for taming it like no other grip.

Mike_Fontenot

HighPower3006 said:
[...] even though I don't shoot full house magnums through it anymore, it still makes my wrists ache.

I use a VERY relaxed grip ... relaxed shoulders, wrists, and relaxed and flexed elbows. The recoil gets soaked up just by the inertia (mass) of my forearms, with the result that the gun is very comfortable to shoot. (My gun is a 5" 629 "Classic" (full under-lug) .44mag, shooting 240 gr FMJ Underwoods). The only downside to that technique is that it results in a LOT of muzzle rise ... about vertical, and that has gotten me kicked off of two different indoor ranges (because it violates their rule of always having the muzzle pointed down-range).

And I'm not a big guy ... I've shrunk down to about 5' 6" and 125 lbs in my old age.

I also shoot strictly single action. I re-cock the hammer (with my weak thumb) between shots as the muzzle is coming back down, so it really doesn't slow me down any.

Last edited: