Got the Kimber .45 choice narrowed to CDP II in Ultra or Compact

Climb14er

Tested a number of the models including the Stainless Pro Carry, the Compact Stainless and the Stainless Ultra, and being that I could purchase an Ultra CDP II for $825.00 plus tax and background check, I will decide between the 3 inch Ultra and the 4 inch Compact CDP.

After doing much reading (in this group and elsewhere), I am leaning toward the 3 inch for concealment purposes but the 4 inch is very enticing as well. If I do go with the 3 inch, any recommendations as to which holster for this very compact .45 ACP? Any additional thoughts on the 3 vs. 4 inch or have we covered it already? Thanks in advance.

critter44

I carry a stainless compact (Kimber) IWB and it works just great. I don't know that the 3" would conceal/carry any easier-it might. Considering the ease with which I can carry the compact and the loss of even more velocity with the 3", I personally would not change for the difference.

Mine is very accurate and super reliable. Good luck on your choice.

fourdeuce82d

"decide between the 3 inch Ultra and the 4 inch Compact CDP."

[p]

I carry a 4" stainless covert- I find it easy to shoot- I've shot 3" Kimbers ( and others) and I find the reduced sight radius makes fast, accurate shooting more challenging. Earlier poster said he felt the 3-4" guns conceal about the same- I agree.

[p]
Your mileage may differ, but I think the 4" tube is a great compromise between concealability/ease of operation.

Johnny Rad

I've got the 3" Ultra CDP, but would buy the Compact CDP or Shadow CDP if I had to do it all again. I certainly enjoy my Ultra, but it requires quite a bit more attention to shoot accurately than my other pistols w/longer bbls. I agree with fourdeuce82d's comments regarding sighting plane distances; however, for the ultimate in concealability, give me an Ed Brown Bobtail! Too bad he doesn't "bob" Al frames ... yet.

IRock

I went with a compact also. It has the short grip and that is the harder part to conceal if you carry IWB. The slide length doesn't affect concealment. It is nicer to shoot with the longer barrel also in my opinion. It has also been a excellent gun.

Deuce

I'll throw in a vote for the Ultra ... I'm not as accurate with it as my Eclipse, but, I tend to think that has far more to do with the length of the grip than the slide/bbl.

Good luck.

Climb14er

Just returned from testing both again.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Really appreciate it!

Tested the CDP II Ultra and Compact, side by side once again. Know what? Both excellent pistols. Actually shot a 'little' better with the Ultra and the recoil was not a big deal at all.

With my needs for concealment, lightweight, and purely defensive measures, I'm still leaning toward the Ultra, though yesterday, I liked the Compact.

I guess this is why some buy a pistol in each size of a model but for me, I'll call the dealer tomorrow when he opens and firm up an order. He, a former Marine Armorer and hell of a great guy, likes the Ultra just a tad more than the Compact. Then again, that's why they make many models and sizes to choose from.

Spoke to the Custom Shop at Kimber this morning and they tell me that the Ultra outsells the Custom by a huge margin. Must be the marketing dept. and the positive reviews of the Ultra which created the niche for the Ultra. I don't think, that for my purposes, I could go wrong (hopefully) with either pistol.

DeanG

Looked at all three, Ultra, Compact & Pro, and bought two, the Compact and the Pro. Did not think I got a good enough grip on the ultra considering it's intended use.... Got to get a good firing grip the first time, no excuses.

I really like carrying the Compact and think it's close to a perfect carry pistol for me. Especially since the round count is not hampered by having a reduced size. I load one and still have 6-7 in the mag plus a back up mag with me. If I can't solve the problem with 14 rounds of .45 ACP, I am in a world of hurt.

Good Shooting,

Dean

Frohickey

I suggest going to www.1911forum.com and real through their Kimber posts.

Do a search on Series II or Schwartz safety.

I know I'm steering clear of Kimbers with Series II safeties.

If you want, I have a Eclipse Ultra for sale. :p

H46Driver

I have the Ultra Eclipse - I'd go with the compact. I've had some trouble feeding/ejecting with my ultra. I think the extra slide mass of the 4" would make it run more reliably. Your MMV.

Climb14er

Made my decision yesterday and ordered the Kimber CDP II

three inch Ultra. It was a 'tough' choice between the four inch Compact and the Ultra as both are excellent pistols.

The Ultra will probably serve my needs a little better and it should arrive by the end of the week. I'll get out my lube and oil, grease 'er up, and shoot some .45 ACP 230gr. hardball through it and start breakin' her in.

I'm looking forward to this as the bigger bore of the .45 will be replacing my .22 mini mag single action derringer and .22 long rifle semi auto that I've been carrying.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions and I'll post some comments on the break-in and overall shooting aspects of the Kimber in the near term.