Got the Jones for a LH Hawkeye

hotcha45

My favorite local gun shop turned up w/a 270 Win Ruger Hawkeye in LH persuasion. Stainless steel w/a composite stock in gray & silver. It is gorgeous! Any chance of this proving to be an accurate rifle? My impression is that Rugers generally turn out so-so in the accuracy department?
I already have a real tackdriver of a 270 - a cheapie Win Ranger that is as accurate as I could ever ask for, for don't really need the Hawkeye, just love how pretty it is. And I just happen to have a 3-9 silver scope on the shelf to go with it....
I have an old Ruger 77 in 220 Swift that is a real tack driver, but it seems to be something of an exception?

Wleoff

I bought a new left handed M77 Hawkeye in .204 Ruger about a month ago. The accuracy seems to be good, but hard to tell with the 5 lb trigger which I measured with a pull gage. There's also about a 1/4" of creep that is heavy. Seems that all the Ruger triggers are manufactured to be 5 lb and they're not adjustable. So much for their hype about their great new LC6 trigger. I've already ordered a Timney trigger. Only Ruger would put a 5 lb trigger on a varmint rifle. I usually like about a 2 lb trigger on a varmint rifle.

Also the stock is the old Remington design that has a barrel pressure point at the forearm end. Per the owner's manual, if you bed the stock, you void the rifle warranty. So much for tuning.

I ordered a left handed Remington 700 VS in .223 about a year ago. I adjusted the trigger down to 1 1/2 lbs with the stock adjustment screws. It's so accurate that my son has borrowed it to shoot in several local 200 yard meets. I'm not looking at buying any more Ruger centerfire rifles. Good luck.

kd7sgm

I just got the same rifle only in 300 win mag LH as well. So far it seems to shoot pretty well at 3 shot group 100 yds 1.5" with winchester XP3 factory loads. I will agree it is a very nice looking rifle, I chose a redfield 4x12 scope which is black and provides a nice contrast. The negative I noticed rather quickly is how raspy the action is. Operating the bolt feels as though it is rapped in sand paper as you pull it back, it is awful.

m&p45acp10+1

Since it is .270 I am gonna guess it may see hunting duty. I would just set up some paper plates at intended range of use. I take one shot on each. If it hits all of them it will do the job on any deer, or larger sized animal without a problem.

Abel

The negative I noticed rather quickly is how raspy the action is. Operating the bolt feels as though it is rapped in sand paper as you pull it back, it is awful.

Easily fixed by watching a football game with this rifle.....at home. Cycle that puppy about 1000 times and it will smooth up like butter.

I would just set up some paper plates at intended range of use. I take one shot on each. If it hits all of them it will do the job on any deer, or larger sized animal without a problem.

I love this as a Minute of Deer accuracy test. People get upset when a rifle won't do 1" groups at 100 yards. I could fill a bunch of freezers with a 2.5MOA rifle.

miykael

Ruger Trigger's Useless

Yeah, I hate the trigger on mine, especially when compared to my Savage 10FP with their Accu-Trigger. Also for the money, would expect it to be more accurate. Haven't finished develping loads for mine but I don't know if it'll be 1 MOA but it will be MODeer :D I'm actually looking to seel my Ruger and get a Savage Precision Carbine (20" Heavy Barrel). I'm not a free hold shooter and the Savage will outshoot anything in its price range. I'm not happy with MOD, I need sub MOA. :D

Last edited:

cornbush

I have an All Weather Hawkeye in 223, the new trigger is leaps and bounds better than the old one.
My brother has the same rifle in 358 win, both shoot very well.
I can easily get 1" groups, smaller if I try a little.
I have not measured the pull weight but I would guess it's around 4 lbs.