Got the 45 bug! Which one XD or M&P?!?

Mercenary

I have recently been bitten by the 45 bug. I have narrowed it down to the XD 45 (or XDM 45) and the M&P 45. I want feedback from people that have shot and/or owned both. Which is better? They both have the 1911 grip angle. I shoot equally as well with both of them and they are within my budget. I would specifically like to hear about any know problems with either model or any common issues that users have with them over a long period of time.

Thanks!

EdInk

SAME here BUT the EXACT OPPOSITE choice. XD all the way. Just feels much more rugged and the trigger is far better IMHO. I would recommend you go with the Tactical model to be specific.

Mr.Blue

I have an XD and have shot the M&P. It's a toss up. Whatever fits your hand better. M&P has better ergonomics for me. XD has a better capacity though. Do yourself a favor and try the FNP45 USG. It's a great weapon. It may be right for you. That said, I like them all very much.

40caljustice

XDm. I have fired both and I just can't get passed the trigger on the m&p. I don't like the 2 part deal. It feels like it has too much "hinge". Hard to explain. The ergonomics are good and feels pretty balanced. That said. The XDm is far better in the ergo department. It also has a better feel. Kinda like the weight is back further over your hand. Where the m&p feels a little more towards the front sight. I wouldn't turn either down if a good price came up. My preference is with the XDm.

On a side note. I don't base anything I buy on the trigger. I can adapt to the trigger but I can't adapt to a gun that doesn't feel right in my hand. And like I said the XDm feels better of the 2. Ill take either but if I had to chose it would be the XDm over the m&p. Kinda close to call. Tough one brother.

ripnbst

Between those two its honestly nothing but personal preference I don't care what anyone says.

Shoot 'em both, pick one and dont look back. You aren't out anything picking one over the other.

Usertag

Go with the XD-45 its more ergonomic and usally for your average shooter has a better grip. Also I'm not a Glock man, but I would go with a 21 (great pistol). But overall I would say the XD-45.

IdahoG36

I have owned both, and would take the XD over the M&P myself. The XD has a higher mag capacity and felt better in my hand than the M&P did.

Rob96

I would go with the G21SF then the M&P. I have held the XD and just don't like how high the bore axis feels.

Sport45

I have the XD45 and can say it's a very good gun. I haven't tried the M&P to say how they compare. Given the choice now, I'd get a XDm since I understand they don't have the SWC feeding issue that is my only gripe with the XD.

sailskidrive

Neither...

I had an XD 45 and really didn't care for the height of the bore axis, i think some else already expressed the same opinion. I currently own an M&P and it is by far my least favorite firearm due to the unusual trigger break.

I would definitely add a used Sig 220 or FNP 45 to your list, I personally feel the quality of manufacture is significantly higher.

Roland Thunder

sailskidrive said:
I would definitely add a used Sig 220 or FNP 45 to your list, I personally feel the quality of manufacture is significantly higher.
You got that right, sig-nificantly higher, no pun intended.

Frasier

I like my XD-45, however, it will not chamber semi-wadcutter bullets. The gun is very accurate and breaks down easily. I have no experience with Sig or the M&P.
So, did I read that correctly? The XDM can chamber swc rounds?

Mrgunsngear

I own 2 of both (compact and full size) and my vote is for M&P hands down. It has a great fit & finish and both of mine have been 100% reliable. My M&Ps are more accurate for me as well.