Got some short brass- ok for plinking?

jimmythegeek

I'm loading .30 carbine and the trim-to length for brass is 1.286". I've measured a bunch and anything between 1.280 and 1.285 I've set aside. (I'm trimming anything over 1.288).

Since the M1 Carbine is not a precision instrument anyway, I thought I could use that short brass for plinking ammo. My kids can't hit anything anyway :D Am I on drugs? is .006" far enough off to be dangerous?

dacaur

I dont know where you got a trim to length of 1.286", but for .30 carbine maximum lenght is 1.290", and the "trim to" length is 1.280" So it looks like you are fine. It headspaces on the case mouth, but even if its a bit under 1.280, my guess is the extractor would still hold it well enough to fire.

Sevens

Let me tell ya from experience that if you trim .30 Carbine a wee bit too much... a .30 Carbine Ruger Blackhawk will not light them off. And if that's the only .30 Carbine you own, they become recycle fodder. :p

jimmythegeek

Got the trim-to from a book

"The Complete Reloading Manual for the .30 M1 Carbine"

It's a compilation of various bullet and powder manufacturer's recipes. It does show Sierra says 1.280 (1.285 for the Blackhawk).

Hogden says 1.285, Lyman 1.286, Speer 1.280.

The Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th ed. repeats the 1.286 value in their section of "The Complete Reloading Manual", but with more bullet options.

I started with .30 Carbine because it's an easy cartridge to reload (and kind of pricey for factory ammo). Sigh.