Got some good safety reminders at the range today

Merad

r1.jpg

Reminder #1, this is why you always always always wear glasses. Not sure if it was my ricochet or someone else's, range was crowded, but it popped me just above the left eyebrow and landed on my sleeve. That circle is about the size of a penny.

r2.jpg

Reminder #2, always look at your ammo.... I don't think this round would've let the slide go all the way into battery. But if by chance it did, I bet it would have been ugly when it went off.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Good warning on wearing safety/shooting glasses, always. And don't take them off if you stop shooting, unless everyone has stopped. The other guy's riccochet can take out your eye, just as fast as your own.

On the defective round, I doubt it would have caused any problems if it had chambered and been fired. BUT, in a tight situation off range, it could be very bad news. Always examine carefully any ammunition you are going to use for serious purposes.

Jim

Merad

On the defective round, I doubt it would have caused any problems if it had chambered and been fired.

Well the "flap" of bullet that's folded over the case is still attached very securely. With it already jammed into the chamber plus being squeezed by the expanding case walls looks like it could prevent the bullet from freely exiting the case and cause an overpressure. Probably not enough for a kaboom but I'd rather not test it.

mete

For serious defense ammo always cycle the ammo through the gun and visually inspect it .Might save your butt !

Sport45

What caliber is that round? Is the circle it's standing on the size of a penny?

If it's one of the big loudenboomers I wouldn't want to try it either.

Great call on the eye protection. Nobody goes to the range with me unless I know they have "eyes and ears" before leaving the house. I keep spare safety glasses and foam ear plugs in my range bag. People don't usually forget theirs twice as the glasses in the bag are scratched up a bit...

mquail

For those who don't think it will happen my boy was hit right between the eyes last week by a ricochet. Wear your glasses!

thanks

Great reminders! Its easy to think that once you stop shooting, glasses are no longer needed. Others at the range obviously still pose a viable threat.

buck460XVR

Wearing Safety Glasses at the range and inspecting your ammo before use is something we teach all new shooters in Hunter Safety. Local Optometrist actually donates glasses for everyone in the class. Still amazes me how many of them I see after graduation at the range without them. Glad to hear nobody was hurt.

langenc

Saw a couple young guys sighting in gun at 'site in days' couple yrs ago.

NO ears or eyes. They said "we shoot 44 without, all the time."

Ale GOlem

I wear prescription glasses, do I still need to wear safety glasses over them? I've never been shooting before and have an NRA course on August 4th but am not sure if glasses will be necessary.

TomInLa

If they are prescription safety glasses with side shields you're good to go, otherwise you can get them made for your prescription, or opt for the type of safety glasses made specifically to go over your prescription glasses. Not as comfortable with the ear protectors on, but you only got one set of eyes...

Be Safe!!!!

It is possible to get safety lenses in normal frames. I have a pair. It isn't really a great idea. I am quite certain if they were hit with something it would just knock the entire lens into my eye.

TomInLa

Yes you can get safety lenses in traditional frames. And if impacted, they do have the potential to allow the entire lens to be pushed against your eye/socket. The key is will that lens shatter. Shards, or pieces of that lens have the potential to cause significantly more damage.

For less than $30, you can get safety goggles with prescription lenses installed from sites like Zenni. It's worth doing. I've seen two people burn themselves with shell casings that got behind regular glasses, and in one case, a guy burned his cornea.

Botswana

I may have to get some shooting glasses that fit over prescription lenses. My right eye vision is not as bad as my left eye and I still shoot just fine despite the targets being a little fuzzy at 50 yards.

However, yesterday I forgot to put my shooting glasses on at one point. I had my regular glasses on and the fact the world wasn't tinted yellow and fuzzy didn't clue me in I was wearing the wrong glasses. A .45 brass literally caught me between the eyes and then was wedged between my glasses and my nose!

That hurt.

So we'll definitely be investing in some new shooting glasses that fit over eyewear to reduce the chances I will forget to put shooting glasses on.

zincwarrior

Shooting outside I have a pair of prescription sports glasses that are fully wrap around sunglass style and very nice.

Inside I wear my normal prescription glasses. I could see getting some non shaded shooting glasses but can't handle paying for more right now.

chewie146

I've been there with the ricochet. I was shooting steel with hard-cast .357s at about 25 yards. I caught a previous bullet "impact crater" with a round. I'm assuming that's what happened anyway. At any rate, a piece of my bullet came back and nailed me in the elbow hard enough to make my hand go numb. It hasn't happened since, but I was glad for the glasses I was wearing.