got myself a little problem!!

Kato_Guy

I know I should have checked first but, I didn't so here it is:

I put together a load of barnes varmint grenades and seated them at 2.255" in my win stealth and came to realize that they are too long. It needs to be more around the 2.200" length. can I just push these bullets down or do I have to pull them all apart and start from scratch???

I am afraid that if I push some of these down it might compress the powder. Some of the lower powder charges I could see doing it but the max loads I prolly should pull them apart???

help me out please

thaks kyle

Rimrod

What kind of crimp did you use?

And are the powder charges taken from published data for the 2.2" length or shorter?

Kato_Guy

I didn't use a crimp just the bullet seater.

I used the data from the lyman manual in a 40 gr bullet.

Barnes said that a person can either use the 50gr VLC bullet data or their favorite 40gr bullet data the data I used from was for a 2.215"

thanks for the quick reply!

dgc940

Kato think about it if you put them back in the press and seat them a little deeper its no differant than if you did it the first time.

dgc940

Wait a minute. your loading for a 223 right? The book shows saami to be 2.260! so how is 2.225 to long?

Kato_Guy

at 2.250" it hits the lands I chambered one and it felt wrong pulled it out and looked at it there is marks from the lands and the bullet got pushed down to 2.225".

at the max powder charge won't it compress the powder and isn't that a no no??

yes sorry I forgot to mention it is for the a 223

CrustyFN

If they will fit in the mag and chamber I would just shoot them. If they won't chamber take one that is a starting load and seat it a little at a time until it does. Measure the OAL and see if it will be safe with the rounds closer to max. You might not have to change them much if any at all. I had to do the same thing will some 9mm I loaded. Be careful with the ones at max and going to short. It would help to know what powder and charge you used.
Rusty

Kato_Guy

I used h335 I started at 25.5gr and stopped at 28.0gr

I will be right here so If you reply I will only be a minute or two behind with a reply thanks!!!

Rimrod

You should have no problem Kato. The differnce between the 2.2 and 2.215 is very small and shouldn't matter unless the powder charges were already peaked out above max.

If you are still concerned keep an eye out for signs of excessive pressure as you work up to the max loads. Which you should be doing anyway considering the data isn't for the bullet you're using.

mrawesome22

at 2.250" it hits the lands I chambered one and it felt wrong pulled it out and looked at it there is marks from the lands and the bullet got pushed down to 2.225".

at the max powder charge won't it compress the powder and isn't that a no no??

yes sorry I forgot to mention it is for the a 223

Did you not determine what your max OAL for this bullet would be before loading these rounds? Try this.

Take an empty case. Cut a vertical slit in the neck, barely into the shoulder, with a hacksaw. Barely seat the bullet you want to use in this case with your hands. Chamber this round in your rifle. Eject it with your hand covering the ejection port. Take it out and measure it from base to tip with your calipers. This will give you MAX OAL (over all length) for that bullet. In other words, this bullet is touching the rifling. Now you can experiment with different seating depths. I've found that my rifle usually gives best accuracy .030" away from the rifling. But you'll just have to experiment as to what shoots the best out of your gun. This method works very well and you don't have to waste money on a Stoney Point guage.

And if you are pushing the bullet down .025" when you chamber them, your bullet is touching the lands. Each bullets ogive is in a different place.

Kato_Guy

ok...

If I push these bullets down into to the case to the 2.215" and it is away from the lands I should be ok??? I was just a little worried with the 28.3gr and pushing the bullets down! Yea I have been checking every case for pressure when I was out shooting the vmax today.

I am in the process of finding the oal right now with every method I can think of without going to the storage unit for the hacksaw!!

I have been using the marker trick.

I put the bullet in chambered it and it pushed it back to 2.225" I am thinking I will start at 2.200" and see how it goes from there!!

Kato_Guy

Thanks everyone for the quick replies I was freaking out!!!
I dont know why I didn't check the oal before I loaded these up??? Stupid!!

When I chambered the dummy round with too long oal it hit the lands and pushed it down to 2.225" so I backed it up to 2.200" and will go from there.

Thanks again you all have been a lot of help!!
kyle

dgc940

I just checked with a ogive gauge and from base to ogive is .281 on a
50 vmax and .295 on a varmint grenade that's just .14 difference from base to ogive Im still confused!
oal of bullet is .772 for vmax and .696 for the VG. the VG is a long bullet for a 36 grain because it is non lead and long for its weight. Kato what weight vmax were you shooting?
if the vmax were OK it looks to me that if you loaded oal on the VG.S .25 shorter than the vmax. if 35-40's vm's probably not!

Last edited:

mrawesome22

I just checked with a ogive gauge and from base to ogive is .281 on a
50 vmax and .295 on a varmint grenade

Wow that's a short cartridge!:p A little over 1/4 inch!

I am in the process of finding the oal right now with every method I can think of without going to the storage unit for the hacksaw!!

You don't have to cut the slit, but it makes pulling the bullet out much easier. You could not cut the slit, and leave the bullet in and use this round for future reference.

Kato_Guy

thats what I do I just made a dummy. thats the one I use just pull it if I need to and mark it up with a marker to check for the lands

mrawesome22

I don't get it. If you barely seat the bullet in the case, then chamber it, it will seat on the lands. Then take it out and measure it base to tip. This is your max OAL for that bullet. Say this comes out to 2.503" for instance. Now say you want to be .030" away from the lands, you would make your cartridges 2.473". What's the marker for?

dgc940

Mr22 what I was measuring was just the bullet from base to ogive.
Not loaded round . I think hes using a black marker on the bullet to see marks from the lands.

dgc940

I still dont understand how he can have such a short chamber that it will only accept a col of 2.225 and the manuals say 2.260 saami max?
Ive personally never seen a rifle where the saami specs were anywhere near the lands.