Got my Python, Have a Question

branrot

I got my new (new for me, anyway) 6 inch Nickel Python today. I'm told it was manufactured in 1980. It's serial number starts V889XX. Does anyone have any information on when this gun was made? Was it made in 1980? Is the nickel the original finish? Thanks for your help.

SnakeLover

First off, congrats on your purchase! I have the same type of snake and am extremely happy with it, hopefully you will be too.

As to the serial number, in 1980, serial numbers V88374-V99999 were produced. Yours falls toward the front of that range, so your guess was correct.

Happy shooting!

SnakeLover

Last edited:

Dfariswheel

The only way to tell if the nickel finish is original, is if you have the serial numbered original box, or a history letter to Colt.

I rather doubt it was refinished with nickel, probably factory original.

Congratuations, you now own the legendary finest factory-production revolver in the world.

Fraser

Congratulations on your purchase. I have a 6 inch Colt Royal Blue Python of the same vintage. An outstanding piece of machinery.

When they put me in a box and plant me 6 feet under, that Python is going with me (along with a bottle of JD and a box of Monte Cristo #1's).

dinosaur

I had a 6" nickle until I retired in 94.

Sold it:eek: but I`m looking for another. I picked up a 4" blue E series the other day. The 6" was an E also. Sweet shooters. I know where there`s a very early 6" blue for sale for $600 but it has a Leupold mounted on it.