Got my first semi-auto and have a few ?'s

RevolverLover

As you can tell by my user name, I prefer revolvers but I recently got my first semi-auto, a SA XD-9. From what I have read I shouldn't oil the slide rails but put grease on them? If this is true what kind of grease? :confused:

WillBrayjr

I use Wilson Combat grease, Protec works well too! You need a good grease for the rail surfaces of pistols, especially if you plan on shooting alot rounds in a single session. Regular oils tend to evaperate quickly.

AUG

You can use grease if you want to. It tends to stay where you put it better than oil. Oil will work just fine though. I have put over 500 rounds (using breakfree clp) through a 1911 in one day and it still had plenty of oil. The only oil I have ever had evapoarate or burn off during a long shooting day was rem oil. All the other oils have done fine.

Bob Thompson

I like copper based anti-seize just like the kind that comes stock on all Glock pistols from the factory and the Glock manual says not to remove. I use this on frame rails and all else is dry until cleaning time. Small amount of Breakfree in firing pin cavity. Clean and relube every shoot. This I find good for all conditions including dusty and very cold. Good shooting.

AUG

You are supposed to keep the firing pin area clean and dry on glocks.

That copper stuff is a mild abrasive. I would not use it at all.

SIGLOCKAUR

Excellent choice in an auto. Like it better than alot of my much more expensive guns. Great ergonomics, reliable, and very accurate. I use tetra grease on the rails (a little bit goes a long way) and tetra lube on the rest of the gun. Has worked well for me.

Bob Thompson

AUG, what do you base your "that is a mild abrasive" on. Anti-seize is used in all the mechanical industries as a super anti-friction compound and is especially usefull in keeping stainless steel from galling. The Glock manual says to clean, lubricate AND DRY, to prevent accmulation of debris, before shooting but on page 37 specifically says not to remove the copper grease. To each his own and I know many other forms of cleaning and lubrication will work also but I like this system for ALL conditions.

knightkrawler00

I quit using grease on my framerails, since it has a tendency to attract a lot of crud, then it gets "gummy". I switched to FP-10 and the difference can be easily felt after a few hundred rounds. The slide operation is a lot smoother than it was after a few hundred rounds with the grease. I use Tetra grease on my trigger assembly contact points and it works great for that, FP-10 on all other moving parts.

AUG

The copper anti sieze is a break in compound. It has to provide friction to work. Just going on what I was told by Paul Britt. He was the guy that taught the Glock Armorer's course when I got certified. If you call Glock they will tell you not to reapply the anti sieze compound.

Please keep you firing pin area dry as a bone. Putting oil anywhere near the firing pin is a dangerous no no and could cost you your life if you use your gun for self defense. That is the one thing that will make a glock not work.

The official recommendation from Glock at the armorer's course was to use six drops of "quality" gun oil. The instructor flat out said that Glock used Breakfree CLP and that is what was used by the Glock factory instructor during the class. They also said the copper anti sieze should be removed after about 500 rounds if any was still present.

Take it FWIW but you can call Glock and ask for one of thier instructors for verification.

WhoKnowsWho

Just about everything gets Breakfree CLP if lube is required. I have some Mil-Tec 1 and Slip2000 to try too but haven't gotten around to it.

For the life of me, I never heard of using grease on the slide rails of any semi. Used CLP forever on everything.

Guess you learn something everyday. :)

Fen

When you get to temperatures around 0 or anywhere in the negatives, grease is bad. At those temps the grease acts more like glue and will start to cause problems. Mpro 7 CLP is what I use. It's rated from -76° to 800°.

Bob Thompson

AUG, thanks for the heads up from the Glock armorers session. I too agree about Glocks "no oil" in the firing pin area. I still like a very small amount of some kind of grease or anti-seize on the frame rails with the rest of the gun dry especially on stainless pistols. Also check the Glock Talk forum for much valuable info. Thanks again to all for a lively discussion. Bob

AUG

Bob Thompson said:
Also check the Glock Talk forum for much valuable info.

I have been a member over there for about 6 years. Glocktalk has so many drones it is hard to find a morsel of wisdom in two days of solid searching.